I had a passion and intention to study business;Cornell Supp/ Intellectual interests

hellogoodbye 2 / 20  
College of Arts and Sciences:
Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the College of Arts and Sciences to further explore your interests, intended major, or field of study. (500 words)

Ever since I could remember, I had a passion and intention to study business. I grew up surrounded by computer screens decorated with red and green numbers and jagged lines. Turns out, my dad was an avid stock trader, and I became the twelve year old who explained bonds and dividends to anyone who would listen.

In middle and high school, I enrolled into the International Business and Technology Program, an extension of the Ontario curriculum that focused on business and global innovation. As I began to take courses in marketing, financial math, and entrepreneurship, my love for business grew. SWOT analyses and writing business plans felt pedestrian, and I became increasingly drawn to economics.

I discovered the wonders of our economy through conversations with my economics teacher, observations of my surroundings, and economic works such as Freakonomics by Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt as well as Boom Bust and Echo by David Foot. The intricate workings of the global economy interested me, and as time passed, I learned to draw economic connections between current affairs and the discussion of the Globe and Mail's Report on Business became a regular event at my family dinner table.

My upbringing, education, and experiences have all transformed my outlook on business, my career, and my life. If accepted to Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences, I will pursue a major in Economics with a minor in International Relations. Cornell's multi - disciplinary and flexible curriculum allows me to explore the disciplines and academic interests of my choice and does not limit me like other universities. As an immigrant, I am particularly drawn to international economics, specifically the rapid expansion of economy in China, my native country. I hope to conduct research, for example, to examine potential correlation between the surge in middle class wealth in China and the one-child policy. Valuable facilities such as the Lab for Experimental Economics and Decision Research will accommodate and foster these aspirations.

I am also interested in embarking on one of Cornell's Study Abroad programs to France because of its immersive French environment and focus on both business and the liberal arts. Having studied French for nine years, I am eager to build upon my language skills, as well as develop a holistic understanding of European culture and its business climate in a global setting.

Most importantly, the education I gain at Cornell is not limited to a future in business. The skills to network, collaborate with others, and manage a team are applicable in any career aspiration. As someone interested in pursuing an MBA or attending law school, Cornell's flexible education prepares me for both.

Overall, Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences is an institution where I can flourish with students who are equally passionate about making an impact. By exposing me to a full spectrum of available resources, the Cornell undergraduate program will improve my analytical capacity and literacy in business and prepare me for a career in the global marketplace.
mela3 2 / 37 2  
Very, very good essay. I cannot think of any suggestions apart from something very tiny:

I would recommend combining these two paragraphs by removing the "Overall" and starting it off with "The College of Arts and Sciences..."

Feel free to fully ignore this. Great job and good luck to you! :)
sunny_joy 4 / 16 7  
This is a very well written essay :)
instead of "Turns out" say "As it turns out"
good luck!
alicederp 10 / 56 4  
Oh wow this is an amazing essay!

"As an immigrant, I am particularly drawn to international economics, specifically the rapid expansion of economy in China, my native country."

Add "a" before economy and I can't think of anything else to pick at.

Home / Undergraduate / I had a passion and intention to study business;Cornell Supp/ Intellectual interests