'the patient differential diagnosis' - learned from an extracurricular activity.

tinkerbellcutie 3 / 2  
PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK:)

This past summer, I had the privilege to attend a two week pre-med program in UC Irvine. I was blessed to have received a scholarship to this incredible, life-changing program that allowed me to become more academically and socially engaged. I experienced many hands-on workshops and team projects that helped me become an independent critical thinker. The pre-med program encouraged me to explore my potential to the fullest and to follow my dream of becoming a pediatrician.

The UCI Summer Premed Program allowed me to have an experience that only medical students encounter. The most exciting experience was a cadaver lab, where I was able to touch the organs of dead human bodies, while analyzing the different body systems. Although the strong cadaver odor caused me to feel queasy, I stayed committed to my team and focused on the lecture being given. It was fascinating to understand how each organ contributes differently to the overall body function.

However, the most memorable experience in the program was the patient differential diagnosis. The task was to diagnose real patients given symptoms from their hospital admission, and to make a list of several possible diseases. Afterwards, we went to the hospital as a team to interview the patient about their cause of admission. I enjoyed interacting with the patient, and was happy to serve as a translator- being the only fluent Spanish speaker on my team. I was proud that my team relied on me to handle such a huge responsibility. I appreciated being part of a team and building empathy to respond to the patient's needs. Not only did I understand the epidemiology of the disease, but I learned how to apply that academic discipline to patient care.

The UCI Summer Premed Program enlivened my dream of pursuing a health profession and solidified my passion for the world of medicine. I became knowledgeable on what it takes and what is expected of a health professional. I am prepared to overcome academic obstacles and determined to become a pediatrician. The program also introduced me to the most fun-loving, kind-hearted, passionate people, eager to share their wealth of knowledge. With this summer program, I was able to take away lasting relationships and an experience that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. I was given a one of a kind opportunity to learn not only about medicine, but about myself and my potential. The premed program also empowered me to become a driven, lifelong leader.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Hi :) You have done a wonderful job with this paper, very impressive! I think that your topic is interesting, and shows your dedication to learning more about the field of medicine. I cannot find any grammatical mistakes or errors and you write with much intelligence. You show yourself to have goals and a plan for the future, which is exactly what the college wants to hear. I think any school would be lucky to have you as their student. Good luck in school!

Home / Undergraduate / 'the patient differential diagnosis' - learned from an extracurricular activity.