'Playing Piano to help others' - Common Application Short Answer

morgana131 1 / -  
Prompt: Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities. (1000 character maximum).

I would love any constructive criticism you have to offer.

I was your typical piano student; I played for a few years, and then quit in a frustrated frame of mind. I had heard my teacher harp enough on the importance of counting and I vowed never to take lessons again. It wasn't until ninth grade that I realized I had made a mistake; piano was enjoyable, especially with others. Playing duets, trios and quartets helped me work better with others; unless you counted the rhythm accurately and worked together, the piece would sound terribly discordant. I realized counting was crucial.

I love playing piano and fortunately, I was able to use my talent to help others. I was privileged to play in a benefit concert to aide local homeless mothers and their children. I played a Mozart sonata for two pianos that my partner and I had practiced for eight months. It was gratifying to know that what I had earlier hated had evolved into something that not only helped me work together but also to help people in my community.
KhanhZ 5 / 131 7  
HI, Morgan)
In my opinion, it's would be more interesting to describe one occasion/event( something like that) tied with your activity, not something general as you did. For example, you can write about a piano competition,the feelings, emotions you had, intensity in mind and body OR just write about the feelings you have while playing. You could throw in some vivid descriptions to make your short answer delicious.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Playing Piano to help others' - Common Application Short Answer