'No Playstation or skateboard' - Independent Engineering UC Prompt #1

cire9753 2 / 4  
Describe the world you come from ï for example, your family, community or school ï and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

It is Friday night, and I am just getting home from a movie with some friends. I walk into my house and hear nothing but the sound of the refrigerator running in the kitchen. The only person I live with, my mother, is long asleep due to the fact she has to be up at 4am every day but Sunday. We live together but it has been four days since I have seen her. I carefully walk to my room, knowing which floor panels to avoid stepping on so I don't wake her. It looks like I am spending the rest of my night alone, what will I be doing?

All too often I was left with nothing to do when I was at home. At a very young age I was inventing pulley systems to flip my light switch from my bed, and Lego note card sorters in my spare time. I really enjoyed designing and making things around the house. For my 5th grade science project I made a large model showing one of Newton's Laws of Motion, which used a few electromagnets. This was the first time I had made anything that had dealt with electricity before and I was excited.

Soon after my garage was left with dozens of taken apart TVs, radios, and anything else I could get my hands on. One of my close friends at the time built a computer with his dad, and then proceeded to help me build one of my own. My relatives probably started to think I was a little weird when my Christmas list consisted of a microprocessor and cd-rom drive, rather than a Playstation and a skateboard. But I didn't want anything else in the world. I realized that this is what I am passionate about, and this is what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.

My mother never really understood a lot of the things I liked, but she was always there to support and encourage me. To this day I still love it when I can show her my latest invention because she will always find a few minutes regardless of how busy she is to come and share the excitement with me. Her encouragement has kept me progressively taking up bigger and more involved projects, learning more each time. She told me I could be anything in the world I want, whether it is the president or a garbage man, as long as it made me happy.

While I don't think I will be either of those things, she has been there to back me and my dreams through the thick and thin. Without her in my life I would not have the same goals and aspirations of getting a degree and becoming and electrical engineer.
Your essay is great! I only found these few things;

This was the first time I had made anything that had dealt with electricity, before and I was excited.

Soon after, my garage was left with...

...regardless of how busy she is, to come and share...

...she has been there to encourage me and my dreams, through the thick and thin.

Home / Undergraduate / 'No Playstation or skateboard' - Independent Engineering UC Prompt #1