Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Prepare me for success/NYU SUP; Why NYU? What intrigues you?

finleyg 1 / -  
Tell us why you have chosen the above campus (using a maximum of 700 characters-spaces and punctuation included).

New York City is the cultural center of the world. Thus, no other place can match the vast diversity held within New York City. Coming from the south, every visit to New York City, is a wondrous adventure. With the convenience of the transit system and the closeness of everything, cars are not a necessity in New York City like in Atlanta. In the city that never sleeps, there is always something to do or someone to meet. You can buy a hotdog from a food cart or a necklace from a street vendor. All of these simple luxuries associated with New York City culminate into the unique New York experience.

A. NYU's global network provides students with hundreds of academic areas of interest for students to cultivate their intellectual curiosity and to help achieve their career goals. Whether you are entirely undecided about your academic plans or you have a definitive program of study in mind, what are your own academic interests? Feel free to share any thoughts on any particular programs or how you might explore those interests at NYU on any of our campuses.

When I was younger, I was obsessed with my Barbie and baby dolls. Everywhere I went, there was bound to be a doll hidden within reach. To me, they were my children and my job was to make sure they were safe. When it was cold, they had blankets and when they were hungry I gave them paper food. Although, this anecdote might seem superfluous, this is part of my childhood that shaped me into the individual I am today. I tend to think that although I have gotten a little taller and perhaps wiser, I still carry that maternal desire to help children. However, instead of providing fake food or stuffing children in my book bag, I have channeled my obsession into efforts such as tutoring and volunteering at local non profit organizations. Because of these experiences, I want to continue these efforts by pursuing a career in the nonprofit sector. Of those working in the nonprofit sector, the most common majors are in business and the liberal arts. As one of the top schools for liberal arts, NYU would best prepare me for success in the field of work I want to enter into. I hope to truly make a difference in the lives of others and know that an education from NYU will enable to me to do so.

What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

I have always considered myself a movie buff. From Princess Diaries to the Dark Knight, every weekend, is an opportune time for popcorn and a trip to the theatre. The ability to squeeze one's creative vision into a two hour body of cohesive thought has always fascinated me. It is hard enough to organize my own thoughts, thus the idea of channeling one's concerns and ideas onto a screen in a logical manner is a wondrous feat. In the 2011 film, Melancholia, Lars von Trier accomplishes just this, by evoking his own feelings of angst into his viewers. The film starts off grim and strange and concludes accordingly. With the end of the world days away, the cast copes with their own eminent demise. In a series of depressing events, including, a wedding debacle and suicide, the world succumbs to a solemn doom. Like, I do in most depressing movies, after the credits began rolling, my tear soon followed. Initially, the only message I could ascertain from the film is that life is futile; in the end we all die. However, while reflecting on the film, I remembered the final seen when Justine, Claire and Leo all held hands in a "magical" tent waiting for their final breaths. Although, they all knew of their bleak futures, in the end they found what comfort they could in each other, in the bonds and connections they had made. Over wealth and success, comes the true bonds and friendships you forge with those around you. In death, no one wishes to be surrounded in their money or by their luxurious cars, but by those who they love and whom love them. Like most children and adults, I often dream of immense wealth and success. However, through a series of melancholic events, this film has truly allowed me to reflect on what is paramount in life, not the material things, but the intangible bonds humans form with one another.

P.S. The last one is waaaay too long, could some one help me shorten it?

Home / Undergraduate / Prepare me for success/NYU SUP; Why NYU? What intrigues you?