I am proud of my open mindedness - "Working With Different Scenarios"

TheFlameProof 4 / 20  
I've been working on prompt two of my personal statement for a while now and each time I have sat down with it I couldn't stick to just one topic. I am really confused on what I should write about and I need help on choosing which one of these I should stick with. Suggestions on how I might complete a particular idea? Should I abandon all of these leads and start new again? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Prompt #2

Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud, and how does it relate to the person you are?

Attempt # 1
I think, above all other of my characteristics, the one I truly value and am proud of is my open mindedness. Despite being I didn't have traditional Filipino parents who want their children to be nurses and would look down upon them, disown them even, if they aimed to be anything less than that. Luckily, growing up, I was fortunate enough to have a family who didn't limit me to certain job and career, who offered me love and support in whatever I planned to do.

I remember when I was in kindergarden, I wanted to be a firefighter so for Christmas one of my uncles bought me a hot wheels fire truck and my dad bought me a rug with drawings of little buildings and roads wide enough so I can move my toy firetruck along the rug and pretend I was saving people. When I was in the fifth grade, I wanted to be an undercover dectective whose secret identity was a news reporter, so my mom bought me a walkie-talkie and a small notepad, called for a family get together, and let me interrogate and spy on everyone. In middle school I wanted to be a skate boarder so my dad took so old dirty wood signs and some how made a pretty sturdy skateboard ramp out of it.

In every endeavor I've tried to persure they have helped me ...

Attempt # 2
A personal quality that I have that I am actually quite proud of is my self-discipline and perseverance. I grew up in probably not the greatest part of Long Beach, California; and, as time passed, I have watched several of my childhood friends fall victim to the extreme pessimism that my living environment exuberates, many of whom have already lost all faith in themselves and life in general. A particular event that sticks out in my mind took place around my senior year of high school, when a friend decided

I've seen people high before, I've seen even more people drunk before, but these people hardly resembled people at all. They told

After high school, I decided to dump all the people who bogged me down from my aspirations and goals in the past to the wayside. And, with a little self-discipline and perseverance, I have turned myself into the outstanding student I am today.

Attempt #3
I think a talent that I'm actually quite proud of is my expertise in video gaming. I have competed and done well in many local and online amatuer tournaments and continue to play video games, outside of school work, as a hobby. I have most recently competed in a Halo 3 tournament sponsored by Best Buy and Gamespot called "Fly That Flag" where my team, Team Locksmith, got all the way to the semi-finals before being elminated by the tournament's former champs.

For those unfamiliar with Halo 3, This relates to me because I think video games really highlight the leadership qualities I have when things are going tough. Video games blah becoming intergrated into our culture similarly

Attempt # 4 (just not good at all ...)
A personal quality that I have that I am actually quite proud of is my ability to stand by my beliefs wholeheartedly.

I believe in are things that I stand by wholeheartedly. I've also made the more obvious decision to not hang around the people that are going to bog me down from my aspirations and goals. They say that your environment makes you who you are, I had to create my own. I think standing up for what you really believe in has it's ups and downs, but when it works, I believe it's a very admirable and very valuable trait. I make good conscience decisions about my life based on a strong foundation of beliefs I hold on to.

I believe in higher education, staying open minded, bettering myself as a human being, and above all, leading a happy and meaningful life.

For instance, after years of witnessing the terrible effects of drug abuse around my neighborhood among my friends, relatives, acquaintances, and complete strangers I've made a commitment to myself stay straight-edge my entire life.

I try to use my enviornment an not try to become a victum of it.

My ability to overcome things and change who I am in order to fit my needs.

I don't believe in much (I can be quite a pessimists sometimes) and a lot of my opinions are usually held with a light and tenuous grip, but the things I do believe in are things that I stand by wholeheartedly.

Attempt #5
Since then, I've been an avid reader and writer. I occasionally involve myself in Long Beach's open mic scene, and I've most recently been published in LBCC's online Literary magazine -- Verdad (verdadmagazine.org).
OP TheFlameProof 4 / 20  
is there anyone out there that can help me?
lattent 4 / 30  
I think i like your second attempt best, might be because i have find myself in a similar situation, but never mind that. i think you just need to elaborate on it, explaining how even though you were surrounded by negative influences you never succumbed to them, something along those lines. Hope i helped
Danielle3 4 / 5  
Hi,

This link I pasted below really helped me, hopefully it will be helpfull for you.

californiacolleges.edu/admissions/university-of-california-uc/personal-statement.asp

Good Luck,
Danielle3
OP TheFlameProof 4 / 20  

I have already made a little bit of revisions with my first attempt which are as follows:

My open mindedness, my ability to capitalize on opportunity, and my blah are all personal qualities that I'm quite proud of. I was fortunate enough to not grow up with the stereotypical Filipino family, the ones who, for whatever reason, disown you if you aspire to be anything less than a nurse. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with being a nurse it's just that luckily, growing up, I had a family who didn't limit me to a particular occupation or demanded that I had to live life the way they saw it for me. I was basically

I will, however, work with the second attempt a bit and post it in this thread for feedback. thanks lattent.
OP TheFlameProof 4 / 20  
thanks. good resource. i will try to keep all of these tips in mind.

Home / Undergraduate / I am proud of my open mindedness - "Working With Different Scenarios"