'quiet and shy individual' Common App! Letter to future roommate and a few short answers

punkiebell17 7 / 11 4  
So these are some of the questions I had to answer. I want help with anything I can fix, and by anything I mean anything and everything! There is also a short essay at the bottom included. I would like help on that one too.

Please respond to the following seven inquiries so we can get to know you better. Do not feel compelled to use complete sentences.

Name your favorite books, authors, films, and/or musical artists.
My favorite book isThe Devil in the White City, and my favorite movie is the Sixth Sense. I like anything with mystery or a twist to its ending, and that is what both my favorite movie and book have in common. The kind of music that I like to listen is rock, alternative, and music from the1980's.

What newspapers, magazines, and/or websites do you enjoy?
I really don't like magazines, because what is mostly found on a magazine is gossip. I seldom read newspapers, but if I do its to read about current news around the area that I live in; I read the Citizen's Tribune. I sometimes go to Facebook on my spare time to communicate with relatives that I haven't seen in a long time

What is the most significant challenge that society faces today? (50 word limit.)
Worldwide poverty is a challenge that has remained through the ages. There has always been a gap between the really wealthy, and the really poor. If that gap could be closed, there would be more equal opportunities for everyone.

How did you spend your last two summers? (50 word limit.)
I enjoyed my last two summers by reading good books, and learning new skills like weaving and graphic designing. Although my family and I didn't travel anywhere, we did enjoy spending time together by watching movies, going to the library, and camping on our backyard

What were your favorite events (e.g., performances, exhibits, sporting events, etc.) this past year? (50 word limit.)
An event that was of particular interest to me was the car show that I went to see not so long ago. It was a nice sunny day that made the brilliance of the colors of the cars shine even more. The models of the classic cars were so unique that it made me think of how important it is for younger generations to appreciate the lifestyles of the past.

What historical moment or event do you wish you could have witnessed? (50 word limit.)
Although it may seem insignificant, it is of great importance to me to thank those who sacrificed themselves for the freedom of others. A historical event I would have liked to have witnessed is the arrival of the first twenty-nine Navajo code talkers to Camp Pendleton in May 1942. They created the elaborate Navajo code that helped win World War II

What five words best describe you?
Friendly, persevere, self-councious, reserved, tolerant

ESSAY PART!

Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate -- and us -- know you better. (250 word limit.)

Dear Roommate,

There is nothing much to say about myself since I can be a very quiet and shy individual. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean that I am going to be boring and not fun to talk to. On rare occasions I talk a lot when I find a subject of interest to discuss with another person.If you don't like talkative people then it would be a good idea to never mention anything dealing with Norse and Greek mythology, psychology, biology, music, or vintage collectibles. In mentioning any of my interests, you might unleash the Mrs. Hyde of my persona.

When I am in a serene mood I have a few activities that I enjoy doing on my spare time, and it would be mean a lot to me to someday share my joys with a friend that understands my passions. I like to draw and paint, read books, watch movies, and make bracelets. If you don't enjoy any of those activities, it is understandable.

In having the opportunity to get a great education in a prestigious university, I would like to share my learning insights with you since we are very likely to come across ground-breaking and brain-straining assignments. I am usually a person that likes to work on her own pace and with no one's help, but I would like to try something different for once. When I am experiencing something new, I don't like to experience it alone.

Sincerely Yours,

Monica G.
Dr Cool 2 / 15 3  
I really don't like magazines, because what is mostly found on a magazine is gossip.

This is entirely false. Magazines like Popular Science, National Geographic, Time, etc. have very interesting and relevant content that is certainly NOT gossip. Instead of focusing on what you don't read, try to put in what you DO read. The Stanford admissions personnel don't want to know that you don't read magazines and newspapers, and that you go on Facebook sometimes. They want to know what you do read and how that makes you an interesting, worldly, and knowledgeable person. Surely there must be something you enjoy reading, whether its anything from NPR's website to comic books. Put that.
alextloft28 4 / 15 1  
when you say perserve is one of the five words that describe you I would change it to perserverance.
I really don't like magazines, because what is mostly found on a magazine is gossip

.... hey... there can be subject related magazines too.... For example, if you are a business person there are plenty of finance magazines such as Bloomberg Businessweek, Forbes, Fortunes etc. and they don't talk gossip, but contain very important and informative stuff.... So, this sentence sounds a bit stereotype thinking.
OP punkiebell17 7 / 11 4  
Yeah. Thanks for that feedback. I actually fixed the response to that one. Never would have thought of it that way.

Home / Undergraduate / 'quiet and shy individual' Common App! Letter to future roommate and a few short answers