'raised in a Christian family' - Pepperdine Prompt

castro17 2 / 2  
Pepperdine University is a Christian university committed to the highest standards of academic excellence and Christian values, where students are strengthened for lives of purpose, service, and leadership. How are you prepared to contribute to Pepperdine's mission and community of faith, learning, and service?

I have been raised in a Christian family throughout my life. My relationship with God for many years seemed to have been played out for me therefore according to my life style serving was simply a way to please my family and not God or my community. As I grew older this part of my life irritated me, I was unhappy and through this I not only affected myself but hurt my mother as well as my education. It was as if I failing everything in life. I began to go to a therapist and my mother arranged for me to meet with my youth pastor as well. Soon my teachers were also involved and together all of these people came together for me. It was then that I realized that no depression or situation was stronger than the God who I had heard of throughout my life yet I was blind to his love and compassion.

I believe that God used this negative part of my life and turned it into something beautiful. The next school year I went from being a mediocre student and became one of the top students in my class. My relationship with my mother has since then been a wonderful adventure. Most importantly my relationship with God has continued to grow every day. It was through this experience that i was able to apprehend how my community came together to help me and ultimately make me a better person than who I once was. Today I strive to be able to serve my community as they once did for me. I am involved with multiple volunteer groups and especially enjoy working at my communities library where I am able to help people of all ages.

Through the years I have also learned about the importance of leadership and initiative. I have acquired knowledge and practice through programs such as the Ivy League Project, summer internships at campuses such as UCLA and continue to learn and practice leadership roles within my community. I enjoy speaking at Migrant Program conferences abut the importance of higher education for students of all ages. I aspire to expand my leadership roles though Pepperdine University where my goal is to become involved with multicultural programs and bring together diversity within communities in order to form a larger well informed commonality.

-Am I answering the question ? ... Also i would like some suggestions on how to end the essay im not sure if i did a good job of that ? Thank you (:
kenben12 2 / 5  
Instead of "I have been raised in a Christian family throughout my life" try I have been raised by a...

I grew older this part of my life began to irritated me

Change "and through this I not only affected myself but hurt my mother as well as my education" and put "and not only have

i been affected by this discontent situatution, but my mother and education were impaired."

Overall I think this is a great essay with nice vivid detailed adjectives to boost your essay into life

Home / Undergraduate / 'raised in a Christian family' - Pepperdine Prompt