'I returned to Korea and moved to Libya' - UC Personal Statement Prompt #1

adebayor123 2 / 8 2  
"Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations."

For me, I do not have a specific place that I can refer to as my home. Sometimes, I call my life a gypsy's life. This is because I have traveled to several places since I was small and developed a unique interest and love for all of those nations. Since I have had various experiences in the places where I have visited, I had an opportunity able observe the general economic conditions of the people first handedly and adopt their ways of life. These experiences have prompted me to want to pursue economics and be a person who works towards the transformation of livelihoods in our world.

I began to open my eyes to the world when I moved to Shanghai, China during fourth grade. As I stayed in Shanghai, I noticed that the number of skyscrapers in the city increased dramatically. I realized that China's culture of hard work had contributed to the growth of the city. However, as the city grew into a complex, modern center of commerce, more streets were occupied by homeless people, waiting to be hired by the construction companies. Despite being a child, I was shocked by the contrasting images of Shanghai.

I returned to Korea after finishing sixth grade in Shanghai. Although my family was not rich enough, we moved to a wealthy region in Gangnam (South of the Han River) due to my sister's high school allocation. The students in my new middle school had supercars and lived in the most exorbitant styles. My friends paid thirty dollars for a man's haircut and thought the price was reasonable. Awestruck by the excessive price, I always went to Gangbuk (North of the river), where I needed to pay only five dollars for a haircut. Learning that such disparity in living styles within a metropolitan city, I first handedly felt the seriousness of rich poor gaps in our society.

Later, I moved to Tripoli, Libya. Living in Libya gave me the opportunity to observe the way governance affects a country's economy. Yes, Gaddafi was a ruthless dictator who crushed the freedom of Libyans; however, I believe that he greatly lessened the rich poor gap among the citizens. Gaddafi provided money, bread, and housing to every Libyan citizen. He maintained the gas price so that the people would pay less than ten dollars to fill their cars' tanks. Under his rule, Libya's economy started to grow as he opened his borders.

Although I have lived for only eighteen years, I realized that I have developed an eclectic view of the world economy. I wish to empower the less fortunate in the society and thus bridge the gap between the rich and the poor. My long term goal as a result of this vision is therefore to work in international organizations such as the IMF and the World Bank which deal with such issues. I believe that with this vision, I can be able to be part of the people who will work towards the implementation of policies in such institutions aimed at transforming the way individuals in different societies live and particularly the poor.
sushiwrap 3 / 16 12  
For me, I do not have a specific place that I can refer to as my home. Sometimes, I find myself calling my life a gypsy's life This is because I have traveled to several placesmoved from place to placesince I was small and have developed a unique interest and love for all of those nationsa multitude of nations . Since I have hadThrough my various experiences in the places where I have visited, I have had anthe opportunity ableto observe the general economic conditions of the people first handedly and adopt their ways of lifeand the way of life of people around the world . These experiences have prompted me to want to pursue a degree in economics and become a person who works towards the transformation of livelihoods<choose a different word> in our world.

I would help you more, but I've gotten absolutely no feedback on my thread and I need to finish it ASAP.

Home / Undergraduate / 'I returned to Korea and moved to Libya' - UC Personal Statement Prompt #1