SAIC design statement of purpose; 'As long as there is life, there will be art'

adelewu 5 / 4  
As long as there is life, there will be art.
Through out history, art has always been a truthful spectacle of mankind. In the ancient times, cavemen drew of their daily life as hunters and gatherers. During early civilization people began to wonder about God, so art was religious. As the world swelter from wars, art languished in nihilism. Then with the sudden explosion of technology, art exalts with a new burst of light. Art has always been a mirror of life.

I always thought of myself as a somewhat decent artist. Growing up, I was always the best. Accepter into the first art school with out any former training, I felt as if I had always knew my way to portray the subject.

The dynamic nature in my art comes from my keen sense observation of the world and its nature. I listen; I watch and pay attention to the most insignificant aspects: advertisements, conversations on the bus, or on the street, people's expressions, their moods etc. I am constantly tuned in. The world is a plasmid TV with unlimited channels, and I am its addict.

The dimmed room with its white fluorescent light, it was just like yesterday. Sitting with a group of other preschoolers, I was in my, perhaps, first artistic lesson. Our instructor had demonstrated on the black board of several cows standing on a grass field. We were to copy, and put in the colour of our choice. I recall her questioned attitude when the inspector picked up my paper. While all the other children obediently copied the picture on the board, I put a sleeping cow with the other cows. Maybe I was too small to know why I did that, but I felt that a drawing of only standing cows would be rigid, unnatural, and inanimate. I felt that my drawing was alive comparing to the others.

Years have gone by and I continue to observe closely to the wonders of my surroundings and society, and exhibit by discoveries in my works. Life is such a wonderful diamond because it shines in many different prospective, through the eyes of many people, it is a million seconds in one. I shall peruse and capture each and every minimial sparkle of life, its people and its environment and magnify it to let everybody can realize that ordinance is divine.

As long as there is life, there will be art. Let there be art, and there will be me.

I don't think i have done a good job, I am not that good at english and writting, could somme body help me ? I need it very soon, like TOMORROW
OP adelewu 5 / 4  
It is my first time writting a statement of purpose, can somebody just tell me if i'm doing it right? if not, where and what else should i include? Is it too short? too vague? is my example alright?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
A SOP is a detailed description of the career the applicant intends to pursue after graduation, or a brief and focused essay about one's career or research goals. I'm not sure that this really fits that criteria. While your piece is very intriguing, it contains a lot of expressionistic phrasing, making it not so brief or focused. For example, how does the first statement and the following paragraph describe the career you want to pursue once you graduate, your career, or research goals. If it doesn't fit into those categories, it should be removed.

The SOP is just that; a statement. It should be clear, concise, and to the point. It really isn't the appropriate place for this much creative writing material. You really don't start scratching that surface until the third paragraph. Then, in the fourth paragraph you're off the path again, and you don't really get back on for the remainder of the piece.

Keep the focus and purpose of the statement of purpose in mind when rewriting, and you'll do much better.

Best of luck!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP adelewu 5 / 4  
THanks, that was alot of help
I have edited this one/

I wonder how my life would be with out art. I would not be laughed at as much because then I would never stop moving when I'm brainstorming so that I can think better. I would sleep better with out burning the midnight oil to work on some sudden inspiration or trying to perfect a piece. The bark of the tree would just be brown instead of red, green and some magenta. This would be the life I could have lived. Thank God there is art.

It is my goal to study an undergraduate degree in Visual Communication at the School of art Institute of Chicago. A picture says a thousand words. This field is the bridge between art and everyday society. I believe that with my ideas and artistic skills I can open the eyes of many people and carry them on to the artistic side of the world. The reason I aim toward my education here is because School of Art Institute of Chicago possesses innovative, conceptual, and revolutionary visions as an established Art School; and the multicultural background of the established city is the perfect nest for me as an artists to get inspirations.

Art is the mirror of life. I am always tuned in to my social surroundings. I listen; I watch and pay attention to the most insignificant aspects: conversations on the bus, or on the street, people's facial expressions, their moods etc. The world is a plasmid TV with unlimited channels, and I am its addict.

I exhibit my observations of the world in my art works. From my first attempt of drawing my favourite dolly at four, I had always tried my absolute best to depict my subject with realism, and I was not bad. My pictures were admired by friends and their parents. And I considered myself a somewhat skilled artist. Perhaps it is the intention of God. In grade 10 I enrolled the Claude Watson Arts program in Earl Haig Secondary School. The program took me to a new land of art. Although we also do traditional and skill orientated works, our teacher mostly focused on conceptual art. We were assigned projects dealing with "words", "phrase", and "cube" and was introduced and encouraged to use "out of the world" media such as land, water, and even performance. My eyes have widened. I begin to portray my examination of the world using- whatever thing possible! Art could be everyday mundane objects, situations, places, emotions, or even times. My whole body exalted that Art filled with possibilities. The beauty of art took me away.

In the future, I will carry on my role as the observant and transmit creations- whether the media maybe. I will still bare the laughter when I froze again due to the heavy load of brain work. I will continue to stay up late because of a sudden inspiration or to perfect a work. The bark of the tree will remain be red, green and magenta instead of brown. As long as there is life, there will be art. So let there be art, and there will be me.

Is it beter now?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening :)

Already, in the first paragraph, I'm wondering where the purpose is; where is the link to career, or life after college? In your statement of purpose, you want that to be first and foremost in your reader's mind; show your strength and dedication to your goals; state your purpose. In my opinion, this piece is still to showy to be a statement of purpose. There is too much decorative language and "extra frills"; again, the second paragraph is the only meat to the essay, given its purpose.

I suggest you get an idea for what others have written for their SOPs; you can do an online search for "examples of SOPs" or check for "art SOP". There are others out there, and perhaps seeing another's will help you get on track for yours.

Best of luck :)

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP adelewu 5 / 4  
Thank you for your help again,,,
ihave recently edited my SOP again according to you rules and advice as well as some Samples

A picture says a thousand words.
It is my goal to study an undergraduate degree in Visual Communication at the School of art Institute of Chicago. Not only can Visual Communication help me transcend my artistic qualities into society such as designing packaging, books, posters, environments, exhibitions, interactive multimedia, or web sites with a visual language, but also help me communicate effectively with it utilizing typography, digital and non-digital imagery, three-dimensional forms, and digital and non-digital systems.

The reason I aim toward my education here is because School of Art Institute of Chicago is a well established art school. Well known for the innovative and visionary concepts that are credential to any artist, it provides the background and foundation for my growth as a visual artist and a designer. The Visual Communication department is very close connected to the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA); interactions with nationally recognized designers during courses, workshops, and critiques. The multicultural background of the up-to-the-minute city Chicago is also the perfect nest for developing inspirations and ideas. It is the center of contemporary design with its fast developing technology and close connection to the rest of the globe.

Art has always been a part of me. I had always love to draw, to imagine and to depict. My fondness toward visual art had provided me a keen sense of artistic qualities around me. Growing up, I was always sensitive and attached to the artistic qualities around my surroundings: TV and Bus ads, product packaging, posters and more. I cannot walk by a "Sleep Country" (mattress store) with out humming "Can't buy a mattress anywhere else". I am always interested by the artistic qualities that surround me. . I listen; I watch and pay attention to the most insignificant aspects: advertisements, conversations on the bus, or on the street, people's expressions, their moods etc. I am constantly tuned in. The world is a plasmid TV with unlimited channels, and I am its addict.

The Claude Watson Arts program of Earl Haig Secondary school opened my eyes. Enrolled in its visual art program, I was introduced to contemporary conceptual art. Although our teachers acknowledge traditional art qualities such as painting and drawings, they were very concerned with the ideas and theory. They taught me how to get inspirations from our lives and use it in our art works. I was encouraged to think creatively and differently, wonders about the possibilities. After learning with such influential and innovative visions, I decide to use my way of thinking and ideas into the world of today.

To further pursue my dream, in grade eleven I took the Computer Graphic course in our high school. I was very lucky to be taught with a former Graphic designer who has worked in the visual communication industry. Introduced to the principles of design such as typography, alignment, proximity, colours etc, I was challenged imagine within boundaries. Every assignment was like a quest, where I find my way to be artistic and creative, playing with words, composition... yet still follows the rules. As I complete my "quests" through out the year, I become more experienced in the language of visual art.

The world is changing at a rapid speed. I hope to aspire the newest ideas and concepts as well as the technologies and skills in the School of the art institute of Chicago. I believe I can communicate visually with my ideas and eyes of an artist by completing my study of theory, process, technology, and practicing in Visual Communication program. I wish to fluently speak in the language of art, to bridge the connection between art and the society.

I'm sorry to trouble you again, Please tell me if i'm on the right track or not.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon :)

You're on the right track; much improved from the last couple of times. Continue to work on cutting out the frills; for instance, "I am always interested by the artistic qualities that surround me. . I listen; I watch and pay attention to the most insignificant aspects: advertisements, conversations on the bus, or on the street, people's expressions, their moods etc. I am constantly tuned in. The world is a plasmid TV with unlimited channels, and I am its addict" could be condensed.

Keep up the hard work!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / SAIC design statement of purpose; 'As long as there is life, there will be art'