'The art of my dancing' - SAIC statement of purpose

thatgirl2 1 / -  
An artist can be defined in many ways, and I don't believe I fit in any one of those definitions. I may differ from many of the other applicants seeing that I haven not really had any formal training. Art has always been my life but in many different forms, from dance and drama to sculpture and design. Last summer I took my first official art class at a local community college, because my school is only five years old and hasn't developed a strong visual arts program yet. This class solidified in my mind that I was headed in the right direction. Many would see the lack of training as a disadvantage however I believe this has served to be one of my greatest assets. Since, I have never been expose to studied techniques and approaches I have been able to develop my own untainted ways of expression that are completely original and unaffected.

Another unique trait is that I do many other activities other than art. Dancing has been a very important part of my life; 14 hours a week at the studio definitely weighs heavily on the time you have in high school. While I love dance and it has been so pivotal in my life, its art and creation that has truly captured me. This is not to say though that what I have received from dance will not be prevalent in my work. The joy and energy I experience when I dance is what I hope to convey though my artwork.

All my prior activities have contributed to my work by means of my expression. A lot of my work has a sense of outward joy or playfulness about it. Rather than exactly replicating a chair in a corner or a realistic observation I like to create based off of those experiences and make a piece that represents it, but in an uncommon or indirect way. I take the feelings and ideas I get when I look at an object or situation and construct off of that.

My art is what defines me as an individual. It reflects my unique quirks as well as emits a sort of vigor and energy that I posses. Creation allows me to express the feelings that words could not adequately describe. I am possessed with such an intense fervency that working primarily in any field would not satisfy my expression and that is what sets me apart from many others, because I am not classically trained in any one field of study allowing me to have an open mind for creativity to unrestrictedly flow.

There is no medium to which I prefer and that is why I think SAIC is the right choice for me I feed of the energy of my surroundings so I feel the big city of Chicago with serve me by providing an abundance of inspiration and further my adoration of the arts and their vital part in society. However one of the main reasons SAIC is such a perfect match is the aspect of multidisciplinary study. My free spirited nature needs to have the opportunity to experiment and float between disciplines trying a little bit of everything. I believe emotion and expression should not be limited to any one medium. Interdisciplinary study allows for exploration, which I find to be extremely important in the processes of my development as an artist.
Since, I have never been expose to studied techniques and approaches I have been able to develop my own untainted ways of expression that are completely original and unaffected.

.... a very good and strong argument.... originality is an asset for an artist; you have presented it well : )

Anotherunique trait is that I do many other activities other than art.

----------------- you mention about many other activities but talk only about your involvement with dancing... you should talk about others if there any more or re-phrase the sentence slightly. Again, when you say a "unique trait'' it gives a sense that other artists do not have this type of aptitude. I feel that is not fair because many artistic people display their talents in more than one form of art. .... Just give a little thought to these facts :)

I like to create based offon of those experiences

Home / Undergraduate / 'The art of my dancing' - SAIC statement of purpose