"The school failed my brother" - Tips for common app essay about issue?

soccer26 2 / 4  
"Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you."

Rough Essay Outline- Personal Issue- My brother and how I believe the school has failed him seeing as he is a frosh and has a fifth grade reading level...

My parents don't have 4 year degrees- dad worked in factories for a while, mom is unemployed and having difficulty finding a new job without a bachelors- taught me to value/pursue education- don't want to see brother not attend college and live tough life like parents

Brother won't let me help him- he's embarrassed, because i do well in advanced classes and he does poorly in special ed classes, so I peer tutor other kids and volunteer at a camp for disabled people of all ages

Good topic? Tips on writing about this topic? Tips on writing this type of essay in general?

Thanks in advance :)
RamyaRam 6 / 14  
I think it's a really good topic! Here is how i outlined my issue of importance essay, and maybe this will help give you an idea as to how you can lay yours out:

Intro: I talked about the issue in general terms, briefly discussing how it had been demonstrated in my school, and I ended this paragraph with an assertion along the lines of "if we do this, then we can accomplish this."

Body: I gave a specific example of how this issue has affected my life (this would be the perfect spot for you to include the story about your brother) and towards the end of the paragraph I talked about how this experience had changed me and changed my thinking about this issue.

Conclusion: I gave some concluding remarks on what we can accomplish as a community and as a nation if we all make the conscious decision to change our ways.

I hope this helps some! Good luck with you essay!

Home / Undergraduate / "The school failed my brother" - Tips for common app essay about issue?