Home / Undergraduate % width   Posts: 3

Second Language a Commitment - Essay Assignment

Sampson L 1 / -  
The process of learning a second language is notoriously challenging, often leading to frustration and eventual abandonment of the endeavor. Many individuals who embark on this journey fail to achieve any significant level of fluency, and even those who do sometimes struggle to use the language effectively when visiting countries where it is spoken. To address this issue, increasing the commitment, confidence, and competency of learners can be significantly enhanced through forming supportive or competitive connections with other second language (L2) learners. These connections help reinforce goals, build confidence, and improve language proficiency.
Commitment to a goal is often strengthened when pursued in unison with another person. This this concept is shown in examples such as the gym, where individuals are more likely to stick to their workout routines if they have a workout partner who expects them to show up. Evidence of this concept can easily be seen in the meme culture surrounding 'Gym Bros,' which highlights a more commutative aspect of fitness motivation. Whereas on apps like TikTok "When Bro Doesnt Want to Go to The Gym" is a quite common tag for videos. Further exploration of the structures of such a system does seem to yield promising results. As stated by Thomas Adamo who created a post in the Stanford review "Despite characterizations of "gym bros" as arrogant and unintelligent, they promote the pleasures of athletic self-improvement and community." (Adamo) If someone is publicized or pumped up and ready to go to the gym. Others are more likely to follow them and are therefore more likely to reach their language goals.
This concept can be applied to language learning as well. For example, platforms like Duolingo leverage game like aspects, a ranking system, medals you can give to others, the ability to post milestones online and so much more to help users stay motivated. The app's distinctive sounds and progress tracking create a sense of enjoyment and ease for language learners. Along with an opportunity for the competitively inclined to shine on the higher ranks of the language learning board. Furthermore, the Duolingo bird and voiced characters present themselves as friends on the same goal of language learning as the current user. The app goes as far as creating a personality for each character and then sending their users reminders for the daily lessons of such characters. Fostering a sense of accountability which is akin to having a workout friend. Making the users more motivated to log on and be included in the app.
Moreover, competition created by the ranking system can be a powerful motivator. Eddy Cue's assertion that "Competition on anything is good, because it makes everybody better" is particularly relevant to language learning. Healthy competition among learners can drive individuals to push their boundaries and improve their language skills more rapidly. If one member of a group can name all the letters of a different language alphabet but another cannot. The other may become motivated to not be beaten by their friend. Research has already proven that competitive environments in the workplace can enhance productivity and performance. (Holmes) So long as it is done properly. (Calin) The application of the core concepts of the competitive work environment could also be leveraged in more of our personal goals. Such as learning a second language. Thus, forming competitive bonds with other L2 learners could significantly boost motivation and commitment to achieving fluency.
A major obstacle for many language learners is the lack of confidence when speaking with native speakers. This issue is particularly pronounced when travelers, who have invested time in learning a second language, default to speaking English in foreign countries. This tendency often stems from a fear of making mistakes or being judged by native speakers (Mykhalevych, 2024; Valera, 2023). The fear of negative reactions can discourage learners from using their language skills, and with the opportunity of defaulting to the widely spoken English language. It can lead to missed opportunities for practice and improvement. Or even missing the opportunity to speak the second language at all. The natural stiltedness that many native English speakers face when traveling may result in them not needing to speak in any foreign languages. With fluency in English being a common heiring point for many foreign countries and English being a required course for most high schools even in not English based countries. Most hotels, fancy restaurants, or even common people will know some English for conversation. It leads to a spoiled state whereas in most places many will talk to their guest in English robing the guest of the opportunity to practice their second language.
Additionally, native speakers' responses to non-native language attempts can impact learners' confidence. OR at least the stereotypes of these native speakers can. It is often shown through movies, shows, social media, and many other sources that Italian people do not think that foreigners can speak French. If an individual may have any fears of these negative experiences where their language skills would be below the desired standard. Or they may be criticized. It can create a cycle of anxiety and reluctance to speak the language (Atemerev, 2019; James, 2018). Addressing these confidence issues is crucial for learners to engage more fully with their language skills and use them effectively in real-life situations. A method for improving confidence when speaking to a native speaker of ones desired language is to speak to one. Many schools for language are now introducing opportunities for their students to speak with natives of their course language. These opportunities are often done with professionals. While they may not understand English, they do have lots of experience talking with other language learners just like the students. Meaning that while they may not be able to remove all felling of anxiety, they could very well take the top off. Making it much easier for someone to get the confidence and maintain at least a short conversation with a native speaker.
Achieving proficiency in a second language also involves overcoming huge challenges related to pronunciation and vocabulary. Certain languages present unique difficulties; for instance, Asian dialect speakers attempting to learn English often struggle with distinguishing between 'L' and 'R' sounds due to the phonetic structure of the language (Fong; Yoshizuki & Yoshizuki.) In the same sense native English speakers can have issues with the Spanish rolling "r" sound. These issues cannot be solved on one's own. While in some countries they may not even mention any failed usage of their language. Simply happy that someone is trying it. In others one may be laughed at and scored from behind. Obtaining proper pronunciation is an extremely important but difficult skill which all whose goal I to learn a second language should strive for. A classroom is commonly seen as one of the best places to learn the foundations for a second language but any failure in pronunciation may not be solved until given the chance with a far more brutally honest classmate or friend who one is going for their goals with together.
Vocabulary retention is another area where learners can struggle. Forgetting a specific word, such as "noodles," can impede ones communicative capability. Try and order the fettuccine alfredo without using the words fettuccine alfredo. How does one even begin to describe the dish?
Spaghetti?
With red sauce and meatballs.
No.
The noodles?
We have amazing ramen with our homemade broth.
White sauce spaghetti?
Oh, do you mean our alfredo sauce on angel hair pasta?
Although simply pointing at a menu and making grunting sounds may get one point across the correct dish still may not come out. If the restaurant Gower does not understand the language, they may still not even get what they want. Not to mention allergies which can have devastating results if the wrong word is forgotten at the wrong time. An opportunity presents itself when talking to other language learners. No one knows any words. It creates an environment where the goal is to inform someone of how something occurred or looked like without being able to describe half of the object. This out-of-the-box thinking with language leads to an increased level of confidence bolstered by the experience of being unprepared. Engaging with a community of learners who can offer support and practice opportunities can help gain skills to overcome these vocabulary gaps and improve overall language competency.
In conclusion, the journey of learning a second language is undeniably fraught with challenges, including the pitfalls of frustration, abandonment, and an ineffective use in real-world contexts. However, fostering supportive and competitive connections among language learners can significantly enhance the learning experience. By drawing parallels to other goal-oriented pursuits, such as fitness, we see how mutual accountability and friendly competition can drive persistence and improvement. Platforms like Duolingo exemplify social elements and raking systems and can motivate and engage users, like having a workout friend or a competitive peer. Addressing confidence issues through practical engagement with native speakers and structured learning environments further supports language acquisition. Tackling pronunciation and vocabulary challenges through collaborative practice with fellow learners offers a constructive way to navigate these difficulties. Such interactions not only build confidence but also refine communication skills in a supportive setting. As language learners unite in their efforts and leverage these strategies, they are better positioned to achieve fluency and overcome the barriers that typically hinder language mastery. Embracing these methods will not only make the process more enjoyable but also more effective, and lead to greater success in achieving proficiency in a second language.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15189  
The second paragraph in relation to Gym Bros totally removed the focus from the language learning aspect of the essay. It was too soon to introduce that topic. You altered the focus of the reader, who then became confused when the discussion suddenly went back to language learning. Focus on properly setting up the main topic before you proceed with introducing a supporting topic. You can more effectively introduce this as the 4th or 5th paragraph in the essay.

Eddy Cue's assertion

Who is he and why should the reader consider him an authority on a particular topic? Never just cite an information source, predicate the information on his authoritative background first.

If the restaurant Gower

I am not sure what you mean here. Gower? Owner? Waiter? Are you also an English 2nd language learner? If that is the case, then you need to be very careful with your word usage. Make sure to review and edit the content of your essay for grammatical errors. You will find several mistakes that affect the clarity of your presentation.
KelvinG 1 / 2  
2 days ago   #3
Acquiring a second language involves more than just picking up a new ability; it's a commitment that calls for passion, perseverance, and dedication. Speaking and understanding various languages is a huge advantage in the linked world of today, both personally and professionally. But becoming fluent in a second language takes time; constant practice, exposure to a new culture, and overcoming obstacles are all necessary for success.

Home / Undergraduate / Second Language a Commitment - Essay Assignment
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: