Sitting on the backseat of the car - Harvard Supplement.

khatanbuuveibold 4 / 8 2  
Topic of your choice, no specific word limit.

"Who am I?" i HAVE THE ANSWER

By the virtue of being a teacher's child, for the last 11 years, every morning of the school year, I have gone to school in the back seat of my father's car. The monotonous sound of the car, the comfortable leather seat, and the smooth jazz my dad loves listening to all get me into a lazy, half-sleepy state, which enables me to think about the past days or the days to follow, with no outside distraction.

In 3rd grade on such a morning, I was thinking about Runescape, a popular online game. How do I make gold quickly? What stats should I upgrade to level-up quickly? How do I play without dad noticing? These were the questions I asked myself. I also thought about Dragon Ball Z. I wondered what would happen in the next episode. Will Gohan really beat Cell? In 3rd grade, I was a gamer and an anime fan.

In 5th grade on such a morning, I was thinking about a hack I made for Club Penguin. I used Visual Basic 2008 to make an extremely basic trainer, which enabled me all the awesome privileges of a member account, such as dressing your penguin, but the improvements were only visible to me. How do I get others to see my awesome penguin? In 5th grade, I became a programmer.

In 7th grade on such a morning, I was thinking about AC Milan's champions league loss to Manchester United. If they weren't going to win, why did I stay up all night rooting for them? But in the end, if I can't support them at their worst, I shouldn't support them at their best. Also, 7th grade was when we first had Russian classes, and the teacher was my mother. Oh boy. How do I get over the embarrassment? In 7th grade, I became a football fan and a teacher's child.

In 9th grade on such a morning, I was a champion. Fighting through regional and city qualifiers, I had barely won the gold medal at the 2014 Mongolian National English Language Olympiad, beating students who literally were U.S citizens. My proudest achievement yet. Additionally, I had earned a discount for a summer program at Harvard. I was getting jitters at the simple prospect of setting foot on the Harvard campus. In 9th grade, I was a champion.

In 11th grade on such a morning, I was thinking about robots. That summer, I had built my first robot at Stanford University, and absolutely fell in love with creating and inventing. I wanted to grab a few tools, rent a garage and just get to work. I hadn't slept the night before, watching "Fight Club" and "Pulp Fiction" all night long. At that time, it was a personal goal of mine to exhaust the IMDB Top 250 movies list. In 11th grade, I became an inventor and a movie geek.

In 12th grade on such a morning, as I was sitting comfortably in that same position, listening to Daft Punk's "Fragments of Time", I asked myself "Who am I?". Now I realize that question has a simple answer: I am a gamer, a programmer, a football fan, a teacher's child, a champion, an inventor, and a movie geek.

Does the Harvard supplemental essay need to be more Harvard-specific than this? Also, is a better fit for the personal essay than the essay I submitted before?
Khatan, if your purpose for writing this highly informative essay is to supplement the information that you already presented in your personal essay then congratulations, you have done an excellent job. This essay clearly indicates all of the elements of a personal interview without the actual physical interaction. The fact that you were able to present a clear development of your sense of logic, maturing mindset, and abilities as a student makes this an enviable essay for some. I believe that as an open topic essay, you have accomplished the task of introducing yourself on a higher level to the reviewer. A level that would not be easily seen or allowed in the common app prompts. I don't see how you can even improve the essay because, being an open topic prompt, there is no right or wrong way of writing this essay. So in response to your question, the essay can be more Harvard specific if you want it to be. Otherwise, this essay does an excellent job of representing you on a personal, academic, and ability level to the reviewer.
scgoalie00 3 / 2 1  
@khatanbuuveibold

By the virtue of being a teacher's child, for the last 11 years, I have gone to school in the back seat of my father's car every morning of the school year.

^^flows better to me

Don't worry too much about being Harvard specific if it's not asking why Harvard. I like the flow and consistency also. One thing I might add is how you're more than a gamer, a programmer, a football fan, a teacher's child, a champion, an inventor, and a movie geek. Clearly, you're constantly changing and evolving, so you should add something about that too. Looking good though!

Home / Undergraduate / Sitting on the backseat of the car - Harvard Supplement.