'Socioeconomic / Ancestors / Government' - Brown and Common App

pauniccap 1 / 1  
Common App Personal Statement:
How am I diverse?

My rollercoaster of a socioeconomic background provides me with the ability to see passed all economic stereotypes. Growing up as an only child to a single mother has provided me with financial instability and poverty throughout my entire life. My mother has always been financially independent yet never financially secure. In contrast, my higher-income Aunt and Uncle have provided me with candid moments into the lives of affluent Americans. It is quite difficult seeing such a wide lifestyle gap on a constant basis, never knowing where you belong in society nor how you should interact with others in both economic situations. This gift has shown me that money does make a difference conditionally, but in the end there are people who are cruel, kind, generous, and stingy regardless of income. I have learned to look passed this common indicator of importance and open up to all people I meet, especially in a diverse both ethnically and econmically as that of college. Money is not the focus of my intent to a career because I have found that although money does make you happy, being content with your life fulfills a deeper part of your soul. I have taken this knowledge and experience and have applied it to my with others. As a leader in my school and community, I no longer feel that I am unable to relate to my peers because I have ascertained that economic inequalities are a part of every race, color, and gender. My mothers financial instability has not only enabled me to develop as a financially literate, indepedent adolescent, but has also allowed me to befreind others with no bias towards their financial situations. Although my life has never been stable, I would not change any moment or experience. I would not be who I am, nor would I have the high ambitions I do if it were not for the adversities and inconsistencies my families economic situation has been.

Why I want to go to Brown and who inspired me?
The ideology behind my desire to go to Brown is that to know where you are going, you must know where you have come from. My ancestors came to Providence as a poor Italian family looking for a fresh start; but while most families kept their children deeply-rooted in their culture, mine did not. Eventually, my grandparents moved west to see what California had to offer. As I grew up, my grandparent spoke about Brown, a place where they both had alumnus siblings, as if it was the Holy land. In February my grandmother passed away and my mind soared into a seemingly abysmal train of indecisiveness about my future. I began to constantly contemplate colleges that would make her the most proud of me. Eventually I realized that I needed to live for myself, not for what I thought would make others happy. Brown offers me the ability to express my creative genius, to develop my education, and to look at ideas and others from an unconventional perspective. Brown will enable me to find my past and to also become my future. I have discovered that as long as I fulfill MY goals, my grandparents will be proud. What I desire most is to have the priveledge to say that I am a Brown alumni, knowing I made the best choice.

Academic Interest Essay:
Government is the essential way for a citizen to represent and govern the world around them. My interest in government stems from my devotion to serving people of all backgrounds and creating a safe living environment in which others can thrive. I have not yet found which portal of government I will serve but I know my future involves me doing these three things; helping others, leading, and travel. I have a passion for learning not only how governments run, but also ways in whcih they can be more beneficial for the citizens in which they serve. The first step into understanding the foundation of our government is to decipher the purpose and meaning of law. My interest in law does not stem necessarily through the application of law but rather the understanding of the complex quilt laws weave to create a nation. I intend to earn my B.A. and J.D. to adequately govern and represent my constituents. Leadership is the gravity that holds my life in orbit with those around me.
marissavessels 2 / 4  
This essay is very paulitical. Try to stay away from such biases. Just kidding, Paul. ;)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Socioeconomic / Ancestors / Government' - Brown and Common App