'something new to uncover' - Film as my extracurricular activity

Smithsmithsmith 2 / 2  
Hi, this is my CommonApp short answer essay. Any criticism welcome!

Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (1000 character maximum).

Great films are hard to come by. I don't mean the kind of films you enjoy while watching then forget all about afterwards. No. A truly great film makes me feel and think. The experience is so powerful that it stays in my mind all the way out of the cinema, throughout the train journey home, and makes me want to tell the first person I see all about it. That, I think, is good filmmaking. For me, watching films is an 'activity', just like reading a book or playing an instrument; it requires a mental contribution. What I love about films is that there's always something new to uncover, whether it's a detail in the dialogue, an allusion to the director's favourite film, or even an overlooked mistake. Having put the effort in to achieve a deeper understanding of the film, the feeling I get when I've been successful is extremely rewarding, particularly if it's a heavy, complicated film, and it is my desire for this experience that drives me to seek out more and more great films to view.

This is what I have so far but do I need to make it more personal? I have this line below that I wrote but cut out due to the word length but is that the right decision?

Films like Tulpan that possess the power to transport us into the life of a simple herdsman in Kazakhstan struggling to form his own ranch, or Spirited Away which invites us on a journey with Chihiro to save her parents, these
Dii 6 / 24  
Yes I think it needs a little more personalization like

The experience is so powerful

could be "The experience is so powerful to me"

But I like how you made it sound like an activity

Home / Undergraduate / 'something new to uncover' - Film as my extracurricular activity