Stanford Supplement: Roomate Letter (My Tacklebox)

appliCAN 6 / 18  
Please feel free to bash me on this one- went for creativity but it's not that straight-forward I feel. Lots of gramma errors. I may just scrap the whole thing... Please help! I will try to return the favor!!

College In The Wild

Future Roomie:

I'm Stephen Cone, just an east coast kid that has been dying to go to college out in the wild, wild west ever since he saw the movie Accepted- you know, the one where Justin Long creates his own college after getting denied everywhere. Before watching that movie, I had no clue what Stanford was, however, after seeing one of the characters in the movie run out of school, tossing his books up into the air to scream out at the top of his lungs, " I got into Stanford!!!" I knew there must be something special about the place. This is going to be a phenomenal experience, and I'm glad I'll have a friend to partake in this journey with me.

My mom always told me a woman can tell a lot about a man by the way he dresses, but growing up along the coast in North Carolina, I think a man can tell a lot about another man by what he keeps in his tackle box. Here's what you will find in mine:

Plenty of flies that I have tied on my vice at home. I love to tinker with different patterns and such, testing them on all kinds of fish, from rainbow trout to tarpon. Flies just seem to present more of a challenge when fishing and allow my creative side to come out. Sure, I could probably catch more fish on conventional tackle, but I derive much more pleasure from catching a single fish on a fly than ten on a worm. In my opinion, life would be no fun if there were no real challenges to overcome.

Then, there are my topwater plugs, some of my most prized possessions. I explore foreign waters with these bad boys, waiting for an explosion on the surface or a subtle slurp indicating a fish on the line. I love the adventure inherent in topwater fishing and all of the excitement that follows. I even love the pattern of ripples a topwater leaves on the glassy water, trailing off into the horizon, assimilating back into the vast expanse of water.

Finally, taking up most of the space in my tackle box is my wide array of soft-plastic lures. They come in many shapes, sizes, and colors, just like my friends back here in North Carolina. These lures can be used for just about anything, a true "Renaissance lure", a characteristic I try to imitate in my own life. Resilient and bold, these lures can take a beating from even the most aggressive gamefish and still live to see another cast.

I cannot wait to meet you. May many slurps and explosions come our way as we embark on our journey together.
Strawberry78 4 / 52  
Can you please explain what a tackle box is. Overall, I really like your essay. Nice job.

Can you please help revise my UPENN one. Thank you.
matthewmuliadi 1 / 12  
What strikes me the most from your essay is that it's got a nice personal and authentic feel to it, which my uni counselor told me is what unis are searching for :D great job!
OP appliCAN 6 / 18  
Thanks so much everyone!! I guess I'm too hard on myself sometimes.
cmaher92 2 / 9  
I know nothing about fishing, but it was actually very good way to approach the essay.

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford Supplement: Roomate Letter (My Tacklebox)