How to start a personal statement about why I'm applying etc?

YoungForever 1 / -  
I need help on how to start here is my essay prompt;

Please include a personal statement of at least 500 words about why you are applying, why you are choosing your Major and Minor courses, and what you feel you can contribute to the program. Feel free to write about your academic and extracurricular interests, and anything else that will help us to get to know you.
marielnl94 1 / 19  
What I would do first is describe myself. Maybe you are a passionate reader or a free-time webpage designer. This will help you justify why you have applied to that particular college. Maybe you could add very personal details such as if you enjoy being outdoors, have grown up in a big city, speak several languages, etc. You should absolutely add your extracurricular activities here. Maybe you have participated in math or debate clubs. This will give the reader a picture of who you are and why you study there.

Then, once you have written that the justification will come rather easily. Use your personality traits to show that you're fit for that college. Maybe it's placed in a small town or has a good athletics department.

In the end I would add up something about my major. Once you have shown you're a good choice for that college, demonstrate why you would make the best of the ____ student. Maybe it's because of your extracurricular activities or because of a previous campus visit. Do not be afraid to add another personal experience that showed you the way to that major-minor combination. It's all about you, so use your personality and experiences as much as you can to send a clear message to the reader.

Home / Undergraduate / How to start a personal statement about why I'm applying etc?