'I had to stay strong for my family' VCU PG87 autobiography essay

alexusmln 1 / -  
Compose "Page 87" of your autobiography. In this essay you should be creative, considering where your life story would be at this point.

Ending the long, exhausting Friday before thanksgiving break, I rushed out of my classroom heading towards the bus zone. Once I boarded the loud, energetic school bus filled with rustling, rumbustious school children, I noticed my cellphone had fifteen missed calls and messages. Anytime I receive more than three calls from my family, I realized this was a serious problem. As I anxiously dialed my mother number, she answered in one dial tone.

" Mom, Did you call me?" I asked timidly.
" Yes I Did, I will get you from the bus stop, we have some where to go immediately."

I can her hear voice trembling and cracking as she spoke through phone, it was as if she was holding back a fistful of tears. My mood changed from excited to disturbed in a matter of minutes. While watching the trees move swiftly while the bus continued to take its normal route, I begun to think about what could possibly be going on. Several questions arose in my mind, are we going through a financial hardship or is it more serious than I thought? The bus finally delivered me to my destination.

Taking the steps toward the exit, I noticed my mother sitting in her car staring emotionless into the clouds. Striding closer to the car I noticed she was actually shedding tears from her huge brown eyes. Once I entered into the car I reached for a hug before she can tell me the news. She started the ignition and mumbled under her breath " Were going to Washington Hospital Center, do you remember how to get there." Nodding silently I turned to look through the passenger window, an abundance of thoughts started running through my mind. Several months earlier my father was in that hospital because he was stabbed, how can I forget that place?

As we pulled into the parking garage at the hospital, my blood started to rush it was adrenaline and nervousness. I hate hospitals! The only thing I could think of was my father plugged into a breathing machine with several IVs in his arm. Who can get that picture out of their head?

"Mom, can you tell what is going on?" I whispered.
" I want to tell you but I need you to see for yourself, just promise me you will not break down?" She said

Walking towards the Intensive Care Unit, I hear several respiratory machines and heart beat monitors sending out beeps to the active nurses. We walked into a waiting room filled with my relatives in shock and tears; everyone turned their focus on to me once I stood by the door. I stared in astonishment because I had no idea what was going on, looking back towards my mom she burst into silent cries and tears. Turning my face, I walked to find my grandmother, and there I saw what I did not want to see. Gazing blankly into the ceiling, my uncle Jerry was laying in a bland hospital gown with cloudy eyes, dry discolor skin, and no facial expression. Uncle Jerry was always laughing, talking, arguing, and singing. I never seen him this way, I held my tears back because I had to stay strong for my family. Before I left the hospital, I held his hand and whisper "This is not your time to go, this is a wake call from God, you have to stop living a reckless life." My family was distraught since I was able to control my emotions in this situation but I knew God did not want him to leave this earth just yet.

The last couple of days of his life I spent with my precious uncle. He was speechless, emotional less, and fragile. The last day I visited him we watched Good Times in the ICU and I rubbed his head, kissed him on the forehead and said goodbye. Uncle Jerry glanced into my eyes and cried four tears, I continued to hold mine back. As I headed to the metro something came to a thought, I may have just said my last goodbye to my uncle. Four hours later, my family and I headed back to Washington Hospital Center, the doctors pronounced him dead. Grandma tears flowed like a waterfall, she could not stand and eventually pasted out. Peeping around the corner I heard chaos coming from my family, I rushed into my uncle room and saw my grandmother unconscious on the floor. Something in my mind could not hold my raging emotions; I ran into the hallway and dropped to my knees with tears streaming down my vibrant red chubby cheeks. I could not stop crying, I lost one of the closest uncle.

The memories with my uncle franticly moved through my mind. I remembered all the times walking to the library with my uncle, going to his doctor appointments, walking to elementary school with him, spending the last moments of his life with him. The thought of seeing him in a casket was not what I anticipated, instead I wished to see him at my graduation in two years.

" Everyone, I know he would want us to be strong, instead of crying he would rather have us laughing at the memories we have with him." I said couragouesly.

Uncle Jerry would frequently tell my family and I " You leave this world, whenever that Man upstairs believe it is your time and when it is you must compromise with God and leave the people you love but you will always be there for your family dead or alive."
redskinsman95 1 / 1  
alexusmln
"The last couple of days of his life I spent with my precious uncle. He was speechless, emotional less, and fragile." This needs to be one sentence, just put a comma before he was speechless.

Also, you said your grandmother "pasted" out. I think you meant to say "passed."

Other than that, good piece of writing. You did a good job in drawing the reader into your experience. You are also a very strong person :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'I had to stay strong for my family' VCU PG87 autobiography essay