'Student and citizen' - (why Mac)Admission Essay

Sammyikua 1 / 1  
What factors have led you to consider Macalester College? Why do you believe it may be a good match, and what do you believe you can add to the Mac community, academically and personally. Feel free to draw on past experiences, and use concrete examples to support your perspective. Additional writing samples (e.g., class papers or creative writing) are welcomed as supplements, but are not substitutes for either essay

Sometimes, college searches can be boring -- simply because so many schools have similar programs and similar information about them. For this reason, when someone recommended Macalester last year I didn't pay much attention to it.

Eventually, I found it online. I thought it was going to be one and the same with the other schools I was looking at. I was wrong; Macalester was a whole new world. One main thing that really pulled me into looking at Macalester College is the word "Global." Every time I hear this word, I get chills. Having a college focused on the community and helping students create ideas and implement those ideas for the betterment of society is my definition of a college that I want to attend. When I saw the number of countries represented at the school and I realised that diversity really does actually exists at Macalester, I was thrilled.

As I browsed through the website, my heart started to beat faster. All the International focus the school puts into its academics impressed me a lot.

Overwhelmingly, these are the main reasons I have chosen Macalester as my top choice for college. I believe I would be a major addition to Macalester as a student and as a citizen of the school. In my former schools in the USA and in Kenya, I have been heavily involved in student affairs and general social welfare. As an International African student, I know I will add to the diversity of the school and help students change the perspective they have about Africa. As an international Studies major, and a global citizen, I will have a chance to participate hands-on in improving local and global communities.
deremifri 9 / 137  
I would recommend implementing the reasons why you would be a good student for mac into
the descriptions of your value of internationality. "Internationality is great as I saw when I blabla"

The first paragraph does not add anything to the story, and it does not make you look great.
Why put it in?

Come and have a look at my essay, if you like.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Student and citizen' - (why Mac)Admission Essay