SUCCESS THROUGH OPPURTUNITY; NYU Supplement for Admission

thartistoo 2 / 4  
Prompt:
In evaluating your candidacy for admission, we are interested in making the best match possible with all that NYU has to offer. As a result, we are curious to learn about your academic and personal interests and how those interests relate to what we offer in the idea capitals of the world in which NYU campuses are located.

Please address, in your essay response, the following:

1. Given your NYU campuses of interest - whether they are your primary and alternate home campuses of interest or where you would like to study away while you are a student - where, exactly, would you like to study at NYU - and why?

2. Whether you are undecided or you have a definitive plan of study in mind, what are your academic interests and how do you plan to explore them at NYU?

You may have one or many campuses, schools, colleges, programs, and/or areas of interest, so please elaborate on your interests.

NYU first caught my eye with it's Greenwich Village location, as I can imagine is the case for many undergraduate hopefuls in search of an urban campus rich with resources and surrounded in potential opportunity as well as professional and cultural diversity. Specifically, I am excited by the opportunity to be in an environment that can thoroughly provide for exploration of my academic and professional interest. In the past years I have developed an interest in the field of orthopedic rehabilitation, in particular the design and development of prosthetics. New York University would put me in proximity with dozens of centers for orthopedics and biotechnology, including facilities such as Biodynamic Technologies and Prothotic Labrotories, as well as the offices of many smaller renowned specialists in these fields and those closely related to them. Coming from a relatively small town with limited resources, the notion of having access to such a wealth of diverse professional expertise is overwhelmingly attractive.

As evidenced by my application, I have also expressed interest in the NYU Abu Dhabi campus. Many of the same reasoning expressed when detailing my interest in NYU's New York City campus applies in much the same way as far as academic and professional opportunity. However, the opportunities for multi-cultural exploration afforded by NYU Abu Dhabi's location add a significant level intrigue for me. Having completed a previous study-abroad opportunity, I am very attracted to the idea of moving the center of my studies outside of the United States. Abu Dhabi in particular possesses very attractive qualities as a location for higher learning with its status as the major economic and political center of the United Arab Emirates. To be at the heart of a major middle-eastern country strikes me as an outstanding environment for intensive learning in a professional capacity.

As much as the campuses have to offer, it was the variety in styles of education that held my attention when browsing for schools. It was the Gallatin School of Individualized study that most piqued my curiosity. My goal in pursuing a higher education would be to enter the professional world with the skills to not only excel in my given field, but to diversify it as well. In a professional setting such as orthopedic rehabilitation and prosthetic development, the skill set required does not conform to a given major, and specialists come from a variety of backgrounds, including engineers, artists, mathematicians, biologists, and a multitude of others. It would be a tremendous opportunity to be able to move forward in my learning in a manner determined by my own unique goals in conjunction with the skills needed to enter the professional world on a basic level. In this sense, an education at NYU could become an invaluable cornerstone in the progression of my future as a student and in my pursuit of a successful career.

Any critique is welcome, though I would most appreciate proof reading and general advice towards overall readability and voice. Anything I should add/remove?

Thank you all!
sudhansu007 3 / 7  
- You might wanna separate your first sentence and reword it.
- I really love your last sentence from the first paragraph :)
- Overall, a sweet essay :). Check your grammar again :D
OP thartistoo 2 / 4  
Thank you so much! Any suggestions on how I might reword that first sentence?

Home / Undergraduate / SUCCESS THROUGH OPPURTUNITY; NYU Supplement for Admission