Texas C- MINNGGLING!!

sidney007 4 / 10 3  
Topic:Write about anything that describes you(anything in general)

"WE ARE SHIFTING!!" the whole idea struck me hard in the face. How could I leave my school, my friends and go to a foreign country? Would I be able to make friends there? Will anybody want to be my friend? A whole gamut of questions arose in my mind...

When we moved to London, my parents enrolled me in an Indian school. Yes, on the face it was an Indian school but since all others had their families living in London for nearly three decades, they treated me as a "foreigner" from India. They would make fun of me; laugh at my typical "Indian" accent; ridicule me and do everything possible to alienate me. Perhaps this was my first encounter with what is described as "ragging". In fact, I had to battle many preconceived notions they had about an "Indian".

I was determined; somehow this whole "alienate the Indian" thing had to stop. It took me time to actually start adjusting and get used to their ways. I not only had to overcome all those pre-conceived notions about myself but also had to prove it to them that mingling in a new group was not so difficult however hard they made it for me. I began gradually, by leaning on some more friendlier members of my class and also some teachers, who knew the struggle a new student has to go through. I also drew upon much needed inner strength from my parents, who all along supported me in coping with this delicate phase.

In my second year in London, another girl from India joined the school. That she would have to face the same obstacles as I did was inevitable. Considering it my duty, I decided to go all out to help her. I made her appreciate nuances of local accent and hybrid culture, which blended Indian tradition and western modernity with ease. I became a kind of bridge between her and local students. She indeed was able to blend in much easily than me.

Eight years down the line when I look back, I know that I have learnt quite a lot from this not-so-good experience.

People like to be welcomed when they enter a new place; it's a human tendency. As an individual, one should always contribute in creating a hospitable atmosphere for newcomers, which helps her/him integrate smoothly in a new setting.

In a way this experience also prepared me as a person to blend in a multicultural environment, a skill, so important in an era of globalization. Irrespective of where I am and whichever setting I am part of, it will be my proactive and natural inclination to make newcomers feel comfortable and enjoy "soft landing".

*****
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
I was determinedto somehow stop this whole "alienate the Indian" thing.had to stop.

It took me time to actually start adjusting and get usedaccustomed to their ways.

I not only had to overcome all those pre-conceived notions about myself but also had to prove it to them that mingling in a new group was not so difficult however hard they made it for me.

This sentence sounds a bit awkward. maybe say it like this:
"I wanted my classmates to look past their pre-conceived notions of me. Although it was difficult, I had to prove to them that cooperating with me was not so hard."

I also drew uponrelied on my much needed inner strength,and help from my parents, who all along supported me in coping with thisduring this delicate phase.

Home / Undergraduate / Texas C- MINNGGLING!!