Home / Undergraduate % width   Posts: 2

Tintin comics were my favorites - common app essay

AmrutaPundlik 1 / -  
20 hrs ago   #1
Please help me to identify gaps in my essay. I want to show more than just tell but I don't seem to able to get it right. Please give honest opinion on how to improve it.
Tintin comics were my favorite. He is an intrepid young investigative journalist who journeys to

uncover truths and fight for justice. The meals he savored often featured as a backdrop during
his adventures, and they caught my attention the most. (The fusion of adventure and culinary
exploration ignited a profound enthusiasm for cooking in me, shaping who I am)
It struck me that I wanted to recreate these experiences in my life. It dawned on me that that
wasn't something I could make happen overnight, so after giving it some much-needed thought,
I turned to my dad for help.
My dad and I spent numerous nights crafting these Tintin-inspired dishes. So we had to make
them as Tintin uncovers Belgian food like croquettes and fries. Or when he travels to Morocco
and samples local dishes such as tagines, highlighting the culinary wonders of the region. Our
evening meals thus meant steaming coconut curries and powdered croquettes which seemed as if
covered in snow. These culinary experiences ignited my kitchen adventures, teaching me that
cooking is more than just a skill.
Frequently, we encountered the obstacle of missing ingredients, requiring us to make long
journeys to local markets. It took us an hour to find saffron to use in our Moroccan tagine in the
bustling farmer's market that supposedly only arrived to town every Sunday, alas we found a
hidden shop in a corner after many false leads. The vendor passed me the fragile packet of
saffron, I cradled it like it was a precious ruby. Each trip to the market was its unique endeavor.
Just like Captain Haddock and Tintin, commandeered their vessel we took control of ours (pots
and pans) and embarked on culinary adventures from our kitchen, turning it into a map of new
flavors.
At eleven years old, I could dice onions without crying, make pesto, and prepare chicken stuffing
for pollo tacos. Each dish, each sauce had their own story to tell to me, making them felt like
talking to a different person each time.
My father traveled often out of the city for his job, In his absence, I encountered a fresh obstacle:
cooking by myself. As I entered the kitchen, a mix of nerves and excitement filled me. Cooking
was always a joint adventure, and I questioned if I could uphold that same spirit by myself.
Instead of procuring exotic ingredients, I decided to focus only on Flour, salt, oil, and water, a
staple in every kitchen. I took on the challenging endeavor of baking bread. When I was younger,
the oven felt like a sophisticated instrument. Reserved for only the most seasoned chefs.

I found my first baking experience to be quite intimidating. I took great care to meticulously
follow the recipe, ensuring precise measurements for every ingredient. I eagerly observed the
dough's rise, feeling confident, but my enthusiasm turned to disappointment when I opened the
oven to find a flat, dense loaf instead of the golden masterpiece I had envisioned. The bread
didn't properly rise. Over a Zoom call, I showed my father my first unsuccessful loaf of bread.
But he was excited about my cooking alone and encouraged me to keep experimenting with new
recipes
Instead of giving up, I reflected on my mistakes. Baking, similar to life, demands patience and
careful attention. I was determined to give it another shot, so I delved into research and
conducted experiments. Every new recipe I attempted improved my abilities and enhanced my
knowledge of cooking. Following a failed croissant-making endeavor, I dedicated hours to
perfecting my dough-folding technique. I discovered the value of practice and perseverance
through the comforting rhythm of the rolling pin. The kitchen revealed itself to be more than just
a culinary space; it became a realm for personal growth and self-exploration.
Witnessing the dough gleam in the baking pan was an enchanting experience. There was a feeling
of achievement as it transformed the oven. The cracking and golden transformation served as a
reminder that growth is often accompanied by struggle.
By making bread such as Pumpernickel, sourdough, focaccia, deep-dish pizza, and cinnamon
rolls, I've deepened my belief in creativity and resilience.
Cooking allows me to showcase my creativity and stay connected to global cultures. It molded
who I am, giving me a sense of adventure and resilience that will benefit my academic and
professional goals. I aim to combine my love for cooking with my interest in cultural studies,
exploring the intersection of food and identity in my education.
Cooking goes beyond being a simple task in this approach. Like Tintin, I hope to embark on my
adventures, both in the kitchen and beyond, discovering new flavors and stories to share.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15258  
18 hrs ago   #2
I am not sure which prompt you are trying to respond to with this essay so my advice regarding its content and how to improve upon it will be severely limited. I could have structured a more responsive one if you had included the common app topic with your post.

The information itself is interesting but too wide in scope and involving too many characters. This is a journey of self discovery right? So you need to limit the participation of your father in the story. You cannot say "we" in an essay that focuses on "I". That means, the 11 year old you will have to figure out how to discuss the culinary adventures without constantly referring to Tintin and your dad. Focus on the development of your character through cooking rather than the adventures you had. The adventures are good fillers, but do not necessarily focus on how it helped you develop as a person. Your character development should be the highlight of the narrative.

Home / Undergraduate / Tintin comics were my favorites - common app essay
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: