I not yet have a tree to give fruits but my heart; Personal Statement for college

trilam153 9 / 21 3  
Legend says that thousands of years ago, Monkey King, or "Sun Wukong," was a strange creature that wanted immortality. With the help of his companions, he learned spells of transformation and achieved eternal life. Instead of abusing his perpetuity for selfish accounts, he successfully retrieved sacred sutras from Buddha in India and restored balance to the world. At least that is how the story goes.

Thousands of years later, I, "Sun Wukong," as my family called me, still wonder which part of the hundred chapter book wrapped me up night after night. Perhaps I imagined infinite possibilities with spell casting. Or perhaps I was intrigued by the concept of immortality. Maybe it was the innate desire to preserve and restore the equilibrium between right and wrong, rich and poor, justice and injustice. Regardless, Monkey King is a sterling title to hold, one I would never renounce.

I still reread the story time after time; it reminds me of my marvelous childhood. It is a combination of sweet goodnight stories and the bitter recklessness of an imprudent teenager. The adventures reveal another plane of thought, just like the sun evokes warmth. As the story unfolds, I often reflect upon myself. I imagine what if every spell is a lesson learned? What if immortality is my success, then, what will me my sutra? Will it be just another dream crushed and ambition unfulfilled? Or will it be the extraordinary life of a freedom fighter? I am unsure. But if I am to change the world, I have to be strong, focus, and ready for whatever crosses my path. I have to learn.

It only took the Great King one somersault to travel fifty-four-thousand kilometers, but he walked to the temple of Mandala to show his sincerity. It is unlikely that there will be a shortcut on my path, and I will have to make my own way. I am ready. Every pain he suffered is like my struggles to provide my family with relief from the economic burdens that trouble us. And every tribulation he faced is an experience that strengthens me. My father often told me that, "man is immortalized by what he leaves behind in this world, and the fruits of all his tedious feats." If Buddha has eyes, and if I am truly worthy, he will help me. Although I never did see the true king, his story traveled from Vietnam to America with me. It is my literal root, my main connection to my past. Contemplating upon the sutras, I come to realize that I can either choose a path of the immortal king, and strike for more, or a path of a different Wukong that might have wasted his power. He and I, we are not too different. Even though he was the most glamorous character in the story, he could not succeed without his companions; like I always have my friends and family with me. My legacy is also expanding, giving more to the world with each passing day.

When I read the Monkey King many years ago, he immortalized himself in my heart. Surely, the inspiration became strong. But what will become of the new King? I am still growing, and am making my way to my sutras. Although the scrolls sense marvelous success, they are not fully crafted, I need more time. My future lies before me, and I have decided to one day rejoin my story and my kingdom in Vietnam, providing a new taste of equality to a corrupted nation.
Yourz_Truly - / 2  
man man man! ain't gonna give my input bt i'm just gonna say...great piece and best of luck. here's to you on your journey to immortality-i'll drink to that! hahaha

Home / Undergraduate / I not yet have a tree to give fruits but my heart; Personal Statement for college