Home / Undergraduate % width Posts: 6

Why Tufts essay about me having many interests

Cong Nguyen Chi 1 / 2  
Which aspects of the Tufts undergraduate experience prompt your application? In short,

"Why Tufts?"

(100-150 words)

For a kid who has been a maker since five and math-lover since second grade, I'm incredibly indecisive when choosing my major. I have too many interests: mechanical design fascinates me, electromagnetism is electrifying, recursion is mind-blowing, statistics is magic. I'm even interested in screenwriting when I began my college essay journey.

Then I discovered Tufts. Tufts doesn't just tell me that it's fine to like many things-Tufts embraces that. From the curriculum to the students' blogs, Tufts makes me feel like having many interests is actually a great thing to have. Being a Jumbo means I can experience a spectrum of majors with classes like "How to make stuff" and take fun, never-before-seen courses at The Experimental College with peers whose interests are just as diverse as mine. I simply can't envision a better place for me to grow both intellectually and emotionally than Tufts University.

I'd love to receive feedback on this essay. I apply to Tufts ED and I really want to make sure my essay shows that I'm meant to study at Tufts.

Holt [Contributor] - / 9,735 3072  
Well, the reference to being a 5 year old inventor and a second grade math lover are a bit of a stretch for the reviewer. You may want to rephrase that section. The intention you have in using those 2 reference points are clear, it is the age reference that is the problem. When writing these statement responses, it is always better to avoid referencing any age. Keep it vague so that the reviewer will consider the information based on data alone rather than age reference points. The rest of the presentation is good.

Is it ED good? Maybe. It will all depend upon how well your supporting documentation and other written interview responses (essays) that you create. Best of luck with your application. I can tell that you really want to attend TUFTS based on this presentation.
OP Cong Nguyen Chi 1 / 2  
So I've changed the first sentence into "For a maker and math lover since forever". Should I include the "since forever" part or just "For a maker and math lover" is sufficient?

Here's the full essay:

For a maker and math lover since forever, I'm incredibly indecisive when choosing my major. I have too many interests: mechanical design fascinates me, electromagnetism is electrifying, recursion is mind-blowing, statistics is magic. I'm even interested in screenwriting when I began my college essay journey.

Then I discovered Tufts. Tufts doesn't just tell me that it's fine to like many things-Tufts embraces that. From the curriculum to the students' blogs, Tufts makes me feel like having many interests is actually a great thing to have. Being a Jumbo means I can experience a spectrum of majors with classes like "How to make stuff" and take fun, never-before-seen courses at The Experimental College. And I'll get to do all that with peers whose interests are just as diverse as mine! I simply can't envision a better place for me to grow both intellectually and emotionally than Tufts University.

Do you think it's an improvement compared to the first one?
OP Cong Nguyen Chi 1 / 2  
I'm sorry just ignore the first part. It's just "I'm a maker and math lover".
leoandersons - / 6 1  
"Since forever" is fine. I would change "college essay journey" to "college search journey" since the next line you said you "discovered" Tufts. Otherwise the rest is good.
temiajare 2 / 8  
I'm I was even interested in screenwriting ...
It's okay otherwise.

Home / Undergraduate / Why Tufts essay about me having many interests