'what type of leadership you portray' - RA Leadership Essay

ericao2010 12 / 32  
Hello!

I am applying to be a RA and I have to write to a leadership essay. ANY CRITIQUE IS HELPFUL!!!

PROMPT: How do the parables relate to leadership and as well as the RA position

Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, "It is a terrible thing to look over your shoulder when trying to lead-and no one is there." One of the unspoken qualities in order to be an effective resident assistant is the ability to be a leader-a good one at that. What is leader? A leader is defined by many qualities but in my opinon the most important ones are humility and the ability to set a positive example . Portrayed extensively in both parables, good leadership is a necessity, not a luxury.

"But our brother is among you." Sometimes people tie leadership with reputation, power, and connections. While these qualities are some advantages, leadership entails more than that. In the parable of Brother Leo, the monks avoided the act of service and was more worried about making a good impression to Brother Leo, "the extraordinary leader." To their astonishment, Brother Leo was among them the entire time with a humble heart to serve. While you have individual responsibility as a RA you also hold a group responsibility. You are no longer working for "I", but "we". Together with your residential staff you are working towards a common goal: to provide an unforgettable experience for your residents.You have to push your priorities aside sometimes and think about that of your residents. When you can do that you can succeed not only as a RA, but a leader.

"If a leader is someone who makes something happen, Benny was our leader in friendliness." In the parable a Leadership, one of the themes emphasized was leadership by example. All it took was one friendly man with a "hello" to start a tradition in the school bus. In essence, it takes someone with initiative plus a good attitude to make a change. In regards to the resident assistant position acquiring this quality is vital because there are many policies and rules that need to be enforced. To be able to grab the residents attention as well as gain their respect the RA must step up and uphold the policies of the residence halls in a polite manner. As the common cliché states, "monkey see, monkey do", the residents will eventually model after the RA.

Because the RA position is time consuming, I believe the only way you can succeed as a RA is with balance. I am strong believer in "what you put in is what you get out." The amount of work you put in as a RA will definetly display what type of leadership you portray. Leadership is more about making an impact: what can you bring to the table that can change community for the bette? In the end, you have to be able and willing to take the initiative. Someone said, "with great power comes great responsibility." Will you use that power for good?
frannnny2 1 / 3  
i think its pretty good! go for it
ItsokaytoGaga 15 / 96  
You're essay is great! :) It has some very strong ideas. However, I feel you've quoted quite a lot. I may be wrong. :)

If you could look over both my threads if possible and leave a comment, I would really be grateful. :) Thanks!
Good Luck and good job!
ItsokaytoGaga 15 / 96  
Thanks a lot Erica! :) I think I tried staying to the word limit (max. 500 words) Though, yes it was on the longer end.

I realized later that you must have had to quote a lot. The prompt itself suggests it. :) Good work!!
I would really like you to read and comment on my second thread if possible. I would truly be grateful to you! :) Thanks again!
OP ericao2010 12 / 32  
Yes no problem! I'm working on it now!
malvi 1 / 4  
*What is leader?* This seems wrong, use Who is a leader?
Please align you paragraphs so that there is a continuity to you story. You will have to mention the parables first and draw your inferences from them. Here you start by explaining your inference with 'Portrayed extensively in both parables'. The reader will not know what you are trying to explain.

Home / Undergraduate / 'what type of leadership you portray' - RA Leadership Essay