'The unique badger caught my eyes' - Why Rice

shelia1993 4 / 22  
The unique badger caught my eyes as soon as I opened Rice University's Website. Three silver owls are standing equally on the blue background, seeking for knowledge, preparing for challenge. The white lines across the badger look like an arrow, pointing out the way toward the unknown. Then I saw the gray letters beside the badger - unconventional wisdom, small but striking. Although I was ten thousand miles away from Houston, I could still feel the dynamic learning atmosphere and the seriousness in both students' and professors' devote to knowledge.

Born with excessive curiosity, I always ask the "why" questions instead of "what" questions which others usually ask. Why does the shape memory alloy have its unique properties? Why had the Imperial Palace made by wood instead of bricks? Why people think using paper bags is beneficial to the environment? Those endless questions are swirling in my mind for years. I read, I search online, but what I really want to do is to discuss with people who have the same passion with me. Rice seems the right place for me, offering learning opportunities both in the classroom and out. I can get access to prestigious professors, acquiring knowledge on the frontiers of discovery. I can work with peers, discussing those endless questions in my mind. I can start my undergraduate research project, putting what I have learned into practice.

Almost nine years ago, an eastern giant went to Houston. He broke the traditional idea that basketball is westerners' game. He showed his wonderful skills with Chinese modesty. This giant is Yao. Today, I want to go to the same place as he did, contributing my creativity and passion to Rice, while equipping myself with great skills.
workinprogress 1 / 12  
good essay(:
Umm you could elaborate on what you mean by undergraduate research project and what is exactly you learned.
Hmm in my opinion your third paragraph seems just a tad irrelevant to your first to paragraphs so maybe you could expand on that as your main focus or go more in depth.

It is good, it just needs smoother transitions. Maybe you don't have to elaborate on the seal as much or find a better example of your wonderful curiosity for things (:

I hope i helped.

Best of luck!
Icandoeverythin 3 / 3  
Well, I think it is a good essay. I definitely agree with worried 26 said!!!

Best of luck!!!
OP shelia1993 4 / 22  
Thanks, your advice really helps~
OP shelia1993 4 / 22  
Thanks! I already omitted "unique", and revised my grammar. You are right. I should make it more RICE!
calvinwang 3 / 32  
I think the Yao reference came a bit out of nowhere. It would work better if you had a way to make it flow better.

overall, I really liked it.

Home / Undergraduate / 'The unique badger caught my eyes' - Why Rice