VCU: Pg. 87 Autobiography - 'I have changed immensely'

SunshineCLe 1 / -  
I hope I stuck with the prompt...

Compose Page 87 of your autobiography. In this essay, you should be creative, considering where your life story would be at this point.

Analyzing the years before, I could truthfully say that I have changed immensely. I had the slightest sense of insecurity about every little thing I said and did. Situations poked at me every day, people I cared about tore me right up, and negative thoughts and feelings dumbed me down. I lost who I was in a pursuit of who I wanted to be, altering both good and bad personality traits to fit different people's expectations.

So some say this change was for the worst, some say for the best. I've never been proud of myself for everything I have accomplished. Despite the mishaps that might of dragged me down, I was able to build my own ladder to climb up. I'm only a teenage girl; of course, problems seem like the end of world for me. But at then of it, I've never felt so much relief and never felt so proud of myself for not letting it get the best of me.

At the beginning of high school (freshman), I was scared of everybody who judged me. I knew a reputation was built up for me. And along the way, trying to fit in the right place and to find the right people who would see me differently engulfed me. At the same time, I took my academics too seriously. Basically, my goal was getting into a good school such as USC. I suppose you can say I was on the right track: honor roll every quarter, involved in a few clubs, in sports, and vice president of my class. I realized that school was for school, not exactly the best environment to find your "place." With that mentality, I created such a character in me that I began to do things for me and only me; that my actions were no longer reflected by what people saw in me and mistakes were no longer feared. People are going to judge you. They're going to hate what you do, whether it's good or bad. It's a cruel world out there, and it'll only be beautiful if you make it to be. Character is like a tree and reputation is like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

And the following year, I got to experience one hell of a roller coaster. You could say my sophomore year was bittersweet. If I had to get what I wanted, I had to lose so much. I lost a whole year of making high school what it was really worth: friends. I pushed those who were there for me further for the sake of my relationship with upperclassmen. The sad part was that I could have had both. I could of kept those close to me, but I chose who I felt mattered. Sometimes, this is what it takes to make you the person you are today. And back then, I denied opportunities that allowed me to grow up. I was naïve. It took so much damage to myself and to those around me for me to come to my realizations. I needed friends - I needed a friend.

Finally, junior year. I came to my senses. This year I took great cautious of what opportunities helped me find myself. I finally recognized who was the realest and who was only there to pull me down. I took the time to eliminate those with bad intentions, and kept those who I knew was right. I was able to differentiate between a friend and an enemy. Most of all, this was the year I discovered who I was really in love with, and who I finally wanted to open up to. This year I took notice of, cherished, and appreciated all of my surroundings with all of my heart. I was very content with the people around me, but unfortunately, I began to lose touch of my mentality for school. I began to question if school was really for me or not; although it was something I had enjoyed for the past years. I was barely making honor roll. Sports became just another extracurricular to add on to my resume. My loss in class office grew so much laziness. I lost that I drive I had, to reach the American Dream. I use to know what I wanted. Now, I was just confused about the future. I wasn't prepared for whatever was ahead of me. I thought too highly of myself and my standards were extremely above and beyond that when I had my downfall, I had absolutely no idea what to do.

And here I am now, a senior. I have been anticipating this moment for the past three years. Part of me didn't think I was going to make it because of my constant loss of friends, my loss of passion for being involved, and especially loss of myself. Over mountainous struggles and time, I have found a great deal of friends and a solid supporter, one who has believed in me for the past three years. And now, it's time for self-discovery. I know these problems I've coped with made me the person I am now. I am not going to let silly mistakes or distressing predicaments encumber my way of life. I am nothing but thankful of these complications and I am ready for more. In the midst of fallible characters, there are some struggles I am proud to have encountered, people I am proud to know, to call friends, teachers, and a driving inspiration. The future is unclear and typically I am frightened by the thought of the "unknown," especially when it pertains to my life. I am not sure whom I'll meet in the future, or what struggles I'll face to be successful, but for the first time in a long time, I am ready to plunge right in and see where life takes me.
mcgreeky 2 / 4  
What kind of challenges? You could say something like "Whether ______ or ________, I have come across some obstacles, blablabla" does that make sense?
Maybe you should focus on a specific instance every year that shows a specific instance of how you struggled. I have learned while writing essays, it's best if you relate all your ideas to one specific story. Otherwise, it's well written, and I can definitely agree with you.

Home / Undergraduate / VCU: Pg. 87 Autobiography - 'I have changed immensely'