I wanted to become a performer; benefit from/ contribute to Rutgers?

ohnay 1 / -  

Vocalist School Performance

l essays submitted via our website will be considered. You may enter a maximum of 3800 characters including spaces.

Here is my essay:

Even from a young age, I knew I wanted to become a performer. It didn't matter whether I became an actress or a singer; I just knew I wanted to be able to interact with people in a way that might encourage them to smile, laugh, or cry along with me. But despite the fact that I knew I had something to offer to the world, I couldn't seem to thicken my skin enough to do anything in front of an audience. Like most children from Filipino families, I was often asked to share my talents with friends and relatives during parties and gatherings - But my shyness would always get the better of me. This insecurity definitely posed a problem and left me worried that I wouldn't be able to fulfill my dreams unless I pushed myself to open up to people.

It wasn't until my first performance as a vocalist at the School of Rock in 2007 that I finally broke out of my shell. The experience helped me build my confidence as a person and made me realize that I could have a home on the stage. Since then, I have become a much more preceptive and motivated person, able to see and appreciate the little things in my life. I also found that I was able to express my thoughts and emotions with an ease that I previously lacked, which helped me become more in tune with my feelings and the feelings of those around me. Through preparing for and putting on shows, my patience and sense of responsibility have grown as well, giving me the flexibility to take things as they come, as well as make the best out of bad situations.

Although the discoveries I had made within myself through performing are things that I am incredibly grateful for, I am even more thankful for the interpersonal skills that I had gained from working with various artists and musicians throughout the years. Having met so many skilled and unique people has given me both the awe that comes from encountering such diversity as well as the drive to better myself. Though a sense of independence had developed from having to work on tasks alone, I also gained a better understanding of team work through the concerts that I had participated in. My sociality spawned heavily from my experiences as a vocalist and has allowed me open up to people as I had hoped I would.

Rutgers University is indeed a vibrant community of people with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences, which is exactly the type of environment I picture myself thriving in. Not only would I be able to find others who share my interests in performing, but I would also be encouraged to open my eyes to the medley of personalities and talents that make up the school. I am sure that there would always be something for me to appreciate and someone that will inspire me to improve myself. By attending the University, I hope to continue to develop my interpersonal skills, as well as share my talents with those around me.

Thank you!
Hi,

But despite the fact that I knew I had something to offer to the world, I couldn't seem to thicken my skin enough to do anythingdidn't have a nerve to perform anything in front of an audience.

But my shyness would always get the better of mekept my talents in the dark.

It wasn't until my first performance as a vocalist at the School of Rock in 2007 that I finally broke out of my shell.

....good :)

The experience helped me build my confidence as a personself confidence and made me realize that I could have amake home on the stage.

I alsosoon found that I was able to express my thoughts and emotions with an ease that I previously lackedflowing naturally with ease, which helped me become more in tune with my feelings and the feelings of those around me.

You said a lot about your shyness and the difficulties in previous sections... Therefore, no need to repeat : )

Home / Undergraduate / I wanted to become a performer; benefit from/ contribute to Rutgers?