'wanted to be a mechanical engineer' - Stanford - Intellectual Vitality

sammy12 1 / 1  
Stanford students possess an intellectual vitality. Reflect on an idea or experience that has been important to your intellectual development.

Since the age of four, I've wanted to be a mechanical engineer. I've always wanted to know the ins and outs of cars, the way they operate, what makes this vehicle better than the next. Since then it has been a process; a compilation of steps focused towards reaching that goal. At age 11, I was given a drawing table just so I could sketch and design vehicles that l liked as well as abstract cars. It gave me the opportunity to look at and try out different exteriors of different vehicles. But I couldn't stop at the drawing table. I had to go out and see these cars for myself. My dad would take me to the Dallas Auto Show every time it came to town. Here, I was able to see and analyze the specifications of each vehicle and see what makes each car unique. During June 2011, I attended a program entitled Operation Catapult at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. I am highly grateful for the opportunity of attending this program for my experience was one I could take and utilize towards my goal and throughout my life. It gave me the chance to collaborate with fellow engineers and to be hands-on and interactive with my project; an opportunity I would have never thought of having. This program led me to choose my senior thesis topic concerning the utilization of algae-based bio-fuels in cars. I was curious as to what can I do in order to make a transition from the use of gas in vehicles to alternative fuels such as algae. I am currently researching this topic and at every corner I am learning something new about cars and how they operate and how they must be altered in order to make that shift. Engineering is like a jigsaw puzzle where I have to try multiple pieces multiple ways until that unified, cohesive picture comes together. This will help me grasp and cope with the trial-and-error process of engineering which will ultimately enhance my intellectual development now and throughout my career.

What do you think?
Grammatical errors?
Anything I need to change?

Please and Thank you! (in advance)
At age 11, I was given a drawing table just so I could sketch and design vehicles that l liked, as well as abstract cars.

Here, I was able to see and analyze the specifications of each vehicle and see what made each car unique.

During June 2011, I attended a program called Operation Catapult, at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.

I am highly grateful for the opportunity of attending this program, for my experience was one I could take and utilize towards my goal and throughout my life.

It gave me the chance to collaborate with fellow engineers and to be hands-on and interactive with my project; an opportunity I would never have thought of having.

I was curious as to what I could do in order to make a transition from the use of gas in vehicles to alternative fuels such as algae.

Engineering is like a jigsaw puzzle where I have to try multiple pieces multiple ways until that unified, cohesive picture comes together.---Great sentence!

This is a well written and well thought out essay. Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'wanted to be a mechanical engineer' - Stanford - Intellectual Vitality