UC Essays: the world you come from/ personal quality; 'perseverant person'

ventus11 1 / -  
UC Prompt #1 Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

When my parents immigrated to America, they did not speak English and had virtually no money or possessions. After two decades though, they had earned success through education, good jobs, and a wonderful family. I ask them how they were able to accomplish so much and they told me that hard work and their religion got them to where they are today. Accordingly, I try to emulate my parents by giving it my all and applying the teachings of my faith to all facets of my life.

A strong work ethic has been instilled in me for most of my life. Even as a child, my parents would push me to try my best, whether it was in academics or sports. They made sure that my life was busy enough so that I didn't spend hours in front of the television. When I was done with my assigned school homework, they gave me extra problems to do. I even recall being given those annoying workbooks to work on everyday in the summer. As I grew older, I took care of my younger siblings and my weekends became occupied with extracurricular activities. In high school, my parents were always encouraging me to get a job until I finally got one as a student worker in the lunch program at school. Whenever I am performing my job, I truly derive a sense of accomplishment and duty. When I work hard and see the fruits of my labor, I am reaffirmed and delighted that I put in all that effort.

Just like how hard work has been a part of my life, so has my faith played an essential role in my personal growth. My religion has been my foundation, the backbone of my existence. It has been something I can fall back upon and it has helped me overcome some difficult times. My faith not only comforts and supports me but it also inspires me to serve others, by making me aware of the greater community and enabling me to get rid of that selfish quality where people put their needs and wants ahead of others. Faith motivates me to volunteer and help others, whether it is spending time with younger children or simply tutoring my peers. My beliefs always encourage me to develop my potential, to become a person of quality and morality so that I can contribute to and better society. I wish to be a good role model for others by applying the teachings of my faith in modern-day society and by lending a hand out to those in need. I believe this to be a goal of my religion.

In the future, I wish to pursue a career in the medical field, perhaps as a doctor or physician of some sort. I am well aware that this path will involve much effort, but the results are worth it because I would then be able to assist the sick. Being a doctor calls for much work and dedication but knowing that I can help people who need it, what my faith focuses on greatly, motivates me to work toward this occupation.

Prompt #2 Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

I consider myself a perseverant person since I do not give up easily. One instance of this took place at the end of tenth grade. I initially was placed into a statistics course for my junior year. Not satisfied, I wanted to challenge myself by taking precalculus, the more advanced class. While I did not meet the prerequisites for the class, I did not let that stop me. After asking the math department chair I found that if I could obtain at least a B in a college algebra course during the summer, I would be able to enroll in precalculus. However, it seemed that I had discovered this information too late because when I registered at the community college, the class was full. At that point I was about to give in, to just accept my fate of taking statistics, and to enjoy the rest of my summer. However, my desire to get into that course compelled me to attend the first day of class anyway. I discussed the matter with the professor to see if anything could be done. Fortunately, just enough students dropped the course allowing me a spot in the class.

Summer courses are only 5 weeks long so at first, I struggled with the rapid, accelerated pace. Being a 15-year-old in a room full of college students and being lectured at for three hours every day also did not help. Striving to get at least a B, I devoted myself to intensive math study. By listening intently to all of the lectures, asking the professor for help when needed, and doing extra homework problems, I managed to understand the material thoroughly and caught up with the rest of the class. By that last week some of my older classmates even came up to me and asked me for help with studying for the final exam.

As a result of all of my hard work, I did not just meet the prerequisites for precalculus but exceeded them. I received an A in my college algebra class and then went on to do well in precalculus.

Perseverance is not only being persistent but is also approaching the challenge from a different angle when unable to find a solution. I was able to find an alternative way to get in to precalculus. Also, even when circumstances are not in my favor, I will always give it my best shot. Had I lost hope when I heard that I was going to statistics, I would have missed a huge opportunity to experience a taste of college, to exercise my mind by learning more advanced math, and probably would not have made such an important use of my summer. With determination, I was able to transform a disappointing situation into a great accomplishment. Although it did take much effort, I never gave in and found success.
nahidbak 1 / 3  
Hey. I really liked how you emphasized your beliefs in the first essay, but you only hear about it in the end of the essay. if you can incorporate a little more in the begining because iwas taken aback by it since i wasnt really expecting it.

This kind of sounds wrong

After two decades though, they had earned success through education, good jobs, and a wonderful family.
However, after two decades they had earned success through education, good jobs, and a wonderful family.

When using though you change the positive and negative course of a sentence

The "I am performing " sounds off in the sentence
Whenever I am performing my job, I truly derive a sense of accomplishment and duty.

I think hope would sound better than wish. Thats my opinion.
I wish to be a good role model for others by applying the teachings of my faith in modern-day society and by lending a hand out to those in need.

Home / Undergraduate / UC Essays: the world you come from/ personal quality; 'perseverant person'