Yale-NUS Admission Essay on Personal Concerns

funkyb 2 / 3  
Q: Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you. (I chose to write on a personal concern)

The greatest issue that has plagued my mind since youth would have to be what do I want to achieve in life. I do not deny the fact that I was rather passive since youth when it comes to thinking about my future as out of sheer complacency, I always hung on to the notion of "take one step at a time". The future can wait. When my friends and relatives ask about my aspirations, I do not even bother to impress, and a simple "I don't know" would get me out of the situation. Furthermore, in a rapidly evolving society, society's needs and wants will eventually change, what more mine? All I knew what I had to do was to stick closely to the "default" education system's curriculum and I would do fine in future.

However, I eventually came to terms with the fact that the future is really in my hands. I never really believed in such clichés until reports of how graduates fresh at work were unhappy with their life because they chose a job they were not interested in surfaced every now and then. That knocked some sense into me and I told myself that I would not become one of those that were reported. "You fail to plan, you plan to fail". A simple, sweet and short phrase very much applicable to life and I believed in it and applied it to my own circumstance.

It was by no means an easy start for me to plan for my future. First of all, I had to work my brains and think about what I really enjoy doing. That was when I actually thought the subject combination I "chose" for Junior College actually helped me. The inverted commas used actually testify of my passivity even when it comes to choosing my subject combinations, which were Physics, Chemistry, Economics and Mathematics - subjects perceived to be "default" in our time. Nevertheless, although I struggled with Economics in the beginning with all the new lingos introduced, I found myself gradually enjoying and appreciating the study of Economics. I found satisfaction in working my brains and thinking of how to apply theories to resolve problems. At that point in life when I believed I was old enough to decide for myself, I decided what I would like to be in future - the brain of an organisation.

No doubt it would be a huge challenge for me as it would require an overhaul of my character values, from a passive to an active thinker. However, it is a challenge I set myself to be up for, pretty much for the sake of a bright future as well as to be of value to the community. This is also why I would like to step out of my comfort zone and apply for a further education in liberal arts - to help me become a holistic individual who is more capable of critical thinking.

Please do give me some feedback as to how to improve on my essay! thanks to all and cheers!
chalumeau /  
Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you.
I would select another topic. An issue is something that affects you and others around you, you and your town, you and your country, or you and the world. It is not something that affects only you. You give the impression that you are younger than you are.

I'll be pleased to read another draft.
OP funkyb 2 / 3  
sorry but just to clarify, since the question uses the word 'OR', i'm not answering the question by only choosing to answer the personal part?

anyway, how's the essay itself if I only focus on the personal part?
chalumeau /  
Issues of personal concern:
- The ash borer has detroyed most of the ash trees on your property and you want to develop a way to protect the remaining trees.

- You noticed that your hair coloring product contains chemical XYZ, which was found recently to be carcinogenic. You want to make the company remove the chemical from the product.

- You have noticed that it's really hard to garden in your backyard b/c the wild animals run over or eat everything that grows. You want to develop a method to protect your garden.

- You slipped and fell on an irregular part of a sidewalk and want the city to mark the spot so that others won't slip and fall.

- You believe that the crosswalks in your city don't give you enough time to cross. You want the city to lengthen the time given to pedestrians for crossing the street.

- You are tired of having your car vandalized in public parking lots. You wish to install hidden cameras to capture the vandals at work.

Home / Undergraduate / Yale-NUS Admission Essay on Personal Concerns