Aphorism essay - "A Better Tomorrow"

Ninja Fox 1 / 2  
"A Better Tomorrow"

Elbow room, Personal space, and the like; these are all commodities that we can look to in our glorious future. With Global hatred, civil unrest, and just plain greed, the chances of turning that all around is slim to none. Ralph Waldo Emerson made a great aphorism that describes this: "The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Over population, lack of agricultural industry, and the push for a better tomorrow, are some influences that will bring us to the end.

Houses the size of a bathroom, 30 story hotels, and lines stretching around the building four times: that doesn't sound good to you? Well, it doesn't to me either. The population increase is wasting recourses the Earth doesn't have. Keeping in mind that some countries are try to fix it, their effort alone is not enough. Even if China, India, and the U.S., yes the United States isn't perfect, restrict birth rate, it wouldn't help. The reason is: if your country can only have one child per-family it doesn't make a large difference if your population is in the billions. When taking statistics for a country with birth restrictions you have to estimate. Let's estimate a country with a population of one-billion and birth control of one child: let's say that only seventy-five percent of the population have children, that's seven-hundred and fifty million new children, now let's guess that thirty percent of them break the law and have more then one child that's two-hundred and twenty-five families having an average of two to four children adding to the population at least an extra two-hundred and twenty-five million new citizens. I hope you see where I'm going with this. In short term we need a plan, a drastic plan, now I'm not supporting another world war or, for moral reasons, turning living beings in to resources. We need a plan and we needed it ten years ago.

"Water, water every where, but not a drop to drink." In my opinion that is the greatest irony ever. Let's take a look at all the items we dump into the world's water supply. Metal, trash, toxic wastes (possibly), and others thinking that since the bottom of the ocean has never been seen it will just stay there, "Out of sight out of mind." As of now I don't have hard facts to support this, but what I do have is an educated guess for the future. Let's say the ocean is rising, now this may not be a problem to us, because we can adapt fast, but looking back to future that says: "history shows that man always settled near water." Since most if not all the major cities are located near a large body of water, then all those manufacturing and service buildings, that produce as much waste as they do usable items, will eventually be flooded because of the water increase: ocean water doesn't just stay in the ocean, there's some thing called back flow. When and if this happens all of that waste that we had in there or put in land fills around it will now seep in to the water above it, The reason for this dramatic turn of events is the lack of agricultural business. If we spent less resources on the service and manufacturing business, that are more then happy to mass-produce all those essential home comforts, then we would be able to re-use the resources we have instead of squandering them on luxuries. Now this isn't to say we need to all sell or homes and go live in hovels, I'm very happy with my sixty inch plasma screen TV thank you, but if we cut back more then we have, or at least enough to make those industries less profitable to their runners, then we'll be saving a lot more resources, and we need all the resources we can get. Also if we spent more money on home grown food, from farms, and not that filth from the fast food industry, and yes I know it is Very convenient, then the same will happen as with the industries: more reusable resources, and healthier habits. As the eco-friendly quote goes: "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle."

The Bronze Age, the Iron Age, the Industrial age, and the list goes on. These are all examples of man lust for a better future. The way man goes out his way to make living all the easer for him self, and some times his posterity. George Washington said: "Idle hands are the devils play ground." The time he was in was all about "all work little play," but look how organized and for the most part civilized for their time they were. People need some thing to keep them out of trouble, and video games and the TV do not work, and preferable something productive. That's not to say you need to become a ditch digger, no, I'm merely saying to read, exercise, or even try your hand at writing a novel. The most prominent problem is the lack of action, because of all the easy activities you can do. The more we strive for easy life the less we see in the need for harder activities, thus becoming fat, pompous, blobs of wasted resources. This just to say but do we rely need robots? I mean think about it, if we get robots to do all the work then what does that leave us to do? Going back to idle hands, to ensure the preservation of a healthy race we should cut back on the labor saving devises. Now there are some I would agree with, but those are used for extremely dangerous jobs, such as: moving uranium cores, searching collapsing building for survivors, and the like. Labor saving devices may be helpful, but if you have a heart attack from rolling over, then you need to re-think how you live and if you need them.

With all the people, industries, and labor saving devices, ether here or to come, we are by definition, "Civilized." In order to be civilized by resource friendly standards we need to chose better habits. To stop the large-bellied and large-pocketed big wigs, we need to resist the temptation of their products. To live healthier live we need to eat land-grown foods and diversify in them: we also should limit our labor saving and entertainment devices, to better our minds and bodies. We need, no HAVE TO limit the amount of children we have, I mean, really we're not rabbits (even if some can breed like them). So please, "Just say no," every once and a while. The choices every one makes will affect the future for better or for worse, but if we learn control we can truly have, "A better tomorrow."

If you could send critique or any thing to improve it, would be nice
The population increase is wasting resourses the Earth doesn't have.

Keeping in mind that some countries are trying to fix it, their efforts alone are not enough.

Even if China, India, and the U.S., yes the United States isn't perfect, restrict birth rate, it wouldn't help.

The reason is that if your country can only have one child per-family it doesn't make a large difference if your population is in the billions.

...now let's guess that thirty percent of them break the law and have more than one child, that's two-hundred and twenty-five families having an average of two to four children adding to the population at least an extra two-hundred and twenty-five million new citizens.

"Water, water everywhere , but not a drop to drink."
Metal, trash, toxic wastes (possibly) ,

Let's say the ocean is rising, now this may not be a problem to us, because we can adapt fast, but looking back to future that says: "history shows that man always settled near water."

The sentence above is unclear and should be rewritten for clarity.

If we spent less resources on the service and manufacturing business, that are more than happy to mass-produce all those essential home comforts, then we would be able to re-use the resources we have instead of squandering them on luxuries.

I can't make sense out of this, (above)

Here are some grammatical and spelling fixes, but what you really need to do is to go over the essay and check for clarity. You need to also focus on your main points and stick to them. You seem to be using way too many unnecessary words, and it seems as if you're writing a speech. An example of this is here; Now this isn't to say we need to all sell or homes and go live in hovels, I'm very happy with my sixty inch plasma screen TV thank you,... and here; Even if China, India, and the U.S., yes the United States isn't perfect,...

Also, watch out for the spelling in the words,"then" and "than".

:)
OP Ninja Fox 1 / 2  
That helps alot.

I revised these scentences to try and clarify.

"If we spent less resources on the service and manufacturing business, that squander resources left and right, then we would be able to re-use the resources we have, agricultural strives to make recyclable products, instead of squandering them on luxuries."

"Let's say the ocean is rising, now this may not be a problem to us because we can adapt fast, then let's look to the past and see what it says about one of man basic instincts, "history shows that man always settled near water." "

With the words and scentences, I was trying to add comic relife, so the paper wasn't so dry.

Thank you for your assistance.
These are tough!

...less resources on the service and manufacturing business, which squander resources left and right, then we would...

"Let's say the ocean is rising. Now, t his may not be a problem to us, because we can adapt fast; but let's look to the past and see what it says about one of...

Maybe like that?

Home / Writing Feedback / Aphorism essay - "A Better Tomorrow"