AP English class, We need to write a 300-400 essay on WHAT HOME IS?

daydreamer08 3 / 6  
My teacher wanted it to be vague and open. So he left the creativity up to us. This is so far what i have... Any suggestions to make it better? I STILL HAVE TO DO THE LAST PARAGRAPH TO TIE IT UP.

It hurts to leave a home. It hurts to love and to lose. To leave something you have planted in the soil with love, hate, and happiness flowing the roots. A home is also protection, a bond between a human and their home. A bond between a human and something they love.

I have not lost my home, because a home is not a place, structure, or a coordinate on a map. It is somewhere I can laugh about the meaningless moments in life, where I can sing on the top of my lungs in the shower, and where I can sleep soundly in the warmth of my own bed. A home is a garden. It is full of life- flowers, trees, air. At first you might feel alone in a garden, hearing silence. From outside my window, my house is quiet, and all you can see is a glimmer of light. But once you walk through that garden or that house- you can feel the life. The butterflies, the morning dew on the edges of the leaves, and the sound of the wind blowing through the trees. The hidden love behind the door of the garden is opened.

But what happens once you have to leave that garden? When you say goodbye to everything you once knew? When you venture out past your safe haven and travel into the unknown? I am yet to find the answer, knowing I have year left at home before I begin my journey to a university.
lhs12 1 / 9  
You could also say that home is family. Where ever your family is, that's home.

Ok.... this is my idea for this one;
Home is the only place where you can be yourself. At least it is the safest place where you can express yourself very honestly without any fear. It is also the place where you experience varying emotions ; Your home experiences include the moments of happiness, love, pleasure, sadness, fear, guilt, annoyances, thrill etc.
OP daydreamer08 3 / 6  
i get what you're so saying but family is not home to me. At times, your family isn't there... and well, you still have a home. For ex. When you leave for college, you sometimes leave your family but I wont be homeless. I guess.. should I explain... like that home is a bond between a human and their passion, and somewhere they can feel safe and secure to express themselves?? Right.. i think i should explain.
tharrisite15 - / 2 1  
Hi There!

I attend Townsend Harris Highschool, a humanities school and they teach us english till it becomes second nature to us! So let me help!

I think your paragraph is nice BUT I think there are a few questions (key questions) that you should ask yourself and state in your essay.

First, What is home? Obviously home is not absolute but rather relative. It's always good to add your own opinion, so... what is home to you? I know that your physically house may not always be a home to you. To many of my friends, school is home. The basketball court could be your home. Being in the arms of one you love, can be home.

Well, after you decided on what home is to you..
You need to decide on what are the qualities of "home"?
We consistently repeat belaborously: "home sweet home!"
I think this is a good quote to start off with by the way.
Also, a great way to not only earn brownie points from your teacher, but also have fun and connect in your essay is to include examples in literature.

For example: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn- Huck obviously doesn't find his real home a home to him. He finds his comfort zone in nature. (and then give examples or further explanation)

This really seems like an interesting topic! Please let me know how your writing turns out!

Home / Writing Feedback / AP English class, We need to write a 300-400 essay on WHAT HOME IS?