to what extent should government be able to censor television or radio programs

dolly 12 / 32 1  
Censorship of the television or radio programs has always been a bone of contention.Some people believe that such shows should be carefully examined by the censor board members before airing them to the general public; while others are from totally different school of thought ;believing ,that to censor or ban programs from being aired is against the human rights to express. In my opinion , censorship is imperative not only for the felicity of the human beings in general but also for the amicability among various sectors of the society. I would like to elucidate this point further through various exemplifications.

First of all , in my opinion , if this topic is so controversial there is definitely something about it ,that is bothering many people ; it has something in itself that needs to be considered. The majority of public viewers are children and young adults.They are in the critical stages of mental development. If this age groups get subjected to the kind of television or radios shows that are scatological or are blasphemous then it will surely be detrimental for their mental health. For example there was a television program that was aired live on many channels known as super bowl by Justin Timberlake. That show had a few scenes of obscenity and was not censored. These kind of shows should definitely be censored. Though I also agree that it is the parent's duty to stop their children from watching such television shows but what if they go and watch it somewhere else. When it comes to children , they always try to emulate the acts they see on television done by their favorite super hero and this could be life threatening at some stages.

Also I would like to make my point more clear by giving the example of one more uncensored dutch tv show that broadcasted the program showing atrocious cannibalism stunts.There are many shows on televisions that are made specially for adults so I believe they should not be aired during the prime time when it is more likely that children can watch them .

There is one more example that I would like to present , there were a few songs by Marshall Mathers displaying misogyny that is not very healthy for the society. Other such programs , songs or speeches that could result in disharmony among the society should always be banned. Because the ultimate goal of everyone is to live happily and let others also live happily then I don't think such kind of entertainment mediums are of any help.Even if these are required for knowledge or entertainment then should be restricted only to adult public viewing, else could even result into something disastrous or may be civil war.
Some people believe that such shows should be carefully examined by the censor board members before airing them to the general public; while others are from totally different school of thought ;believing ,that to censor or ban programs from being aired is against the human rights to express. This last sentence is too long, I'd suggest making two out of it.

It seems as though you have some very strong views on this matter and have done a great job of conveying them. I think you should clarify the "to what extent..." part of the assignment because although you have expressed that censorship should take place, you did not list too many specific ideas on how/when/where it should be done. Does that make sense? At any rate this looks good:) One small detail: you don't have to put a space before the comma in your sentences.

I hope this has helped you.
OP dolly 12 / 32 1  
thank you so much. I gave toefl last year and that time ESSAY FORUM helped me a lot. Now its my GMAT on 4th of may. I hope you guys can again offer me some help, I too will try to help others. thanx again.

Home / Writing Feedback / to what extent should government be able to censor television or radio programs