[TOEFL] Global events

john6503 9 / 27  
Topic:It is important to know about events happening around the world even if it is unlikely that they affect your daily life.

Although people from different countries are essentially separated by regional boundaries, they have been able to keep in touch with each other with the advent of internet and other means of technology. This being the case, is it important to know about events happening around the world even if it is unlikely that they affect your daily life? From my perspective, being aware of global events is critical because we can better prepare for possible disasters and it can stimulate growth and development in individual nations.

To begin with, there are certain events that are first originated from one country but will eventually have negative impacts on other countries as well in global scale. This is because, problems such as global warming and U.S. economic crisis are not only detrimental for country that first generate but also to surrounding nations in a long run. Thus, people should pay attention to problems in other countries and collective actions are needed to solve those problems swiftly and coherently. For example, U.S. economy downturn which initiated from 2008, caused by following house mortgage crisis, have influenced many other countries that have developed fundamental commerce relationship with U.S. Since this problem wasn't only matter of U.S. economy, each summit from several influential nations was gathered together in London to come up with reasonable solutions to cope with the massive economic slump. This implies that by taking quick and joined action, we can avoid an international crisis.

Furthermore, policies established from other countries can become a good model to solve our own problem. It is obvious that as the society is developing to a great extent and changing rapidly, people are facing with brand-new problems such as internet hacking, polluted environment and outbreak of disease. To solve these problems, we should take other countries that had experienced the same problems and came up with solutions into our consideration. According to Pittsburgh, a city in the United States, made public transportation free in the down town area in the late 20th century. This resulted in increasing number of people taking buses and subways instead of driving their own vehicles. Consequently, this lead to reduction in level of gas release, causing less air pollution. Even though, the free public transportation seems unreasonable to city like Seoul, we can look at exemplary solutions from other countries to solve our own problems.

In conclusion, the more information we obtain from other countries, the better our society can become. We can prepare for the disasters as well as take hints from another country's case and apply the good policies to our society. It is important to be open-minded and be aware of what's going around us, so that we can develop our country.

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
What do you call that summit held in London in the beginning of this year?
I couldn't think of any other global scale problem, but the current world economic crisis. Do you think the example is relevent to my first argument?

If not, what kind of arguments can you suggest me for this topic?
Also, in the topic, it said "events that are unlikely to affect my daily life" but I mentioned how those problems can affect my life eventually. Is that mean I'm off the topic?

Thanks for reading it^^
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  

G8

I couldn't think of any other global scale problem, but the current world economic crisis.

Global warming?

Do you think the example is relevent to my first argument?

Yes

Your argument is that, even events that seem not to be relevant may turn out to be relevant. I think that's sufficiently on topic.

I like that argument. The argument that problem-solving in other places can serve as a model for one's own region is also excellent.
kennethfatty 3 / 7  
Nice...but I think you should be more specific and read more on the topic to provide statistics
OP john6503 9 / 27  
Thanks for replies^^
It is good to hear that my arguments are on the right track.
And I forgot to ask in my thread, but what's the difference between economic and economy? So is it either "economy" crisis or "economic" crisis? I always get confused with these.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
what's the difference between economic and economy? So is it either "economy" crisis or "economic" crisis? I always get confused with these.

Economic crisis. "Economy" is a noun. "Economic" is an adjective.
OP john6503 9 / 27  
But don't you also put noun before "crisis"? like food crisis, population crisis, money crisis, nuclear crisis etc..Aren't they all grammatically correct?
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
"Nuclear" is an adjective. "Money crisis" ought to be "monetary crisis."

Sometimes people do use a noun as a modifier before "crisis," as in "hunger crisis" or "population" crisis, but this is only done if there is not a suitable adjective form of the word. Because "economic" exists, "economy crisis" would be a grammatical error. Similarly, we say "environmental crisis," not "environment crisis."

Home / Writing Feedback / [TOEFL] Global events