Interview paper with an entreprenuer, Cynthia Odo

nmckenziedesign 1 / 2  
Here's the body of the paper...

Abstract

The face of entrepreneurship has changed over the years, and today, it is dramatically different. Women are taking a more active role in providing for their families while nurturing their children. America's entrepreneurs are much more diverse now. Cynthia Odo, originally from Ghana, immigrated to this country and was able to achieve owning her own business. Her success has allowed her to further her goals and aspirations by creating a foundation of teaching and knowledge that will also give young women in her home country the same opportunity to pursue their goals. Her dedication to becoming a success as well as creating a legacy for her family and children has catapulted into a very successful business endeavor.

Cynthia Odo had a dream and wanted to create a legacy for her children and family. Twelve years ago, she started her business, while leaving in New Jersey. However, life changes relocated her family to Fredericksburg, Virginia. Even though she was in new city, she still had the entrepreneurial spirit and decided to start her business out of her home. Her competitive differentiation was to provide natural hair styling and weaving services in the area. Her decision to move forward was warranted because there was only one other shop that provided those specific services, and most customer were displeased with the current service.

After building an extensive clientele, she moved her business from her home to a commercial location and Queen's African Braiding was a reality. She chose sole proprietorship for her business and incorporated all of the knowledge that she received from the Richmond, Virginia SBA. She chose a location that was visible. Cynthia's business allowed her the flexibility to work but also be home for her children as well.

Being a business owner, she strives is to always provide quality braiding and weaving services. Her motto is to provide prompt and quality services to her customers. With owning a business there are losses that you will experience. Cynthia to some degree expected that, but did not expect her losses to be employee driven. Several months after leasing booth space, she began noticing that her hair inventory was decreasing. Several times, she discussed that the hair was available for purchase to their customers but the stylist was responsible for collecting payment. After having to address this issue twice, Cynthia had to give notice to a stylist who chose not to follow procedures. She also had displays installed that have locks on them, to help ensure loss prevention to her business.

Two years after moving into her location, Cynthia decided that she would begin teaching classes. Her first though was to offer classes at her salon, but after much thought she decided that she would return home to Ghana and establish a school where girls can learn how to provide natural hair care, braid and cornrow hair and complete full weaves. In 2010, Cynthia was able to bring two of her students to the United States on visitation visas. Here they work in the salon for six months and then return to Accra, Ghana.

There are many reasons why Cynthia's business has become successful. One is that the brand and quality of human and synthetic hair that she uses customers have grown to love the kanekalon hair that she imports from Ghana. The hair is available is available in a variety of colors, its texture is soft, silky and curls naturally at the end. The hair currently retails for ten dollars a pack versus human hair that can retail anywhere from fifty to one hundred dollars a pack.

In the past, she would always have family mail her the hair or send it with someone who was visiting the US. In January of 2012, she moved into a larger location, where she now leases out booth space to other stylist or barbers. Her prices range from one hundred dollars per hairstyle to six hundred dollars for a weaving unit.

Cynthia has started the process of working with distributors' in Africa to import hair to her directly. Over the last year, her business has increased by more than fifty percent. She is a part of a 9-billion dollar industry. Women are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on their hair even when they cannot afford to do so. Many women of color have chosen to embrace wearing their hair natural and are making that commitment (Andrews, 2011, p. 1).

Cynthia has created a niche in an industry that has over 712,200 professionals. (United States Department of Labor, 2012) Entrepreneurship is growing. Women and minorities are taking that first step to starting a successful business, but realizing that it will take hard work, discipline and the right planning.

As Cynthia reflects on her journey, there are things that she would have chosen to do differently. The first would have been to take some business classes to have a better understanding of how business works. Secondly, when it came to choosing a credit card vendor, she would have done more research instead of going with the first provider that she found. Admitting that she chose a provider not understanding all of the processing fees actually cost her business more. Since that experience she currently only accepts cash payments. She hopes to resolve this issue quickly, since she is limiting business because she does not currently offer debit and credit options.

After my interview, with Cynthia I was amazed at how far she has come. Would I ever think to invest her business? Yes. She has chosen and industry that is very profitable and growing. Her strategic alliance to focus on only two specific services has given her the ability to build a very competitive brand. Many would say that she is limiting her business, but I disagree. She chose two services that are high in demand, weaving hair units and braiding/natural hair styling. As a current customer of African Queen Hair braiding, I can attest to the fact that her styles are unique. Many times, I 've been stopped before asking who did my hair and I am very proud to say African Queen Hair braiding and then offer them a business card. Customer referrals are an essential to any business.
...Twelve years ago, she started her business, while leaving LIVING in New Jersey.
Her decision to move forward was warranted because there was only one other shop that provided those specific services, and most customerS ...
She chose a location that was visible. EASILY ACCESSIBLE
ALONG WITH With owning a business there are THERE COME losses that you will experience.
Great Job! Along with some minor revisions, I would only suggest that you consider strengthening your closing statement a bit. Good lck and have fun!

Home / Writing Feedback / Interview paper with an entreprenuer, Cynthia Odo