IELTS 1: Languages, other than English, that British students at a university in England can speak

babygrandma 1 / -  

Percentage of British students able to speak languages other than English in 2000 and 2010

The charts give information about the languages other than English that British students at a university in England can speak, in 2000 and 2010.

It is noticeable that the proportion of students who could speak other languages in addition to English increased after ten years, in 2010. Moreover, Spanish was the language that was spoken most commonly in both years.

From 2000 to 2010, the proportion of students who could only speak English fell from 20% to 10%, which showed a noticeable decrease of 10%. By contrast, the proportion of students who had an ability of speaking more than one languages increased from 10% to 15%, which went up by 5%. Both the percentages of those who spoke another language and those who spoke Spanish increased by 5% between the two years, which were the first and second largest groups in 2010, and the sum of them accounted for 55% of the total percentages.

However, there was no change in the percentage of German speakers, which remained at 10%. Finally, the only decline language occurred in French, which dropped by 5%, from 15% to 10%. Both the proportions of French and German speakers were the lowest in 2010.

The charts give information

Be specific about the chart types and the chart representations. I am sure that you are aware of the several types of charts available, which is why properly identifying the type of chart is part of the TA scoring process. The proper differenctiation of the charts through its representations is also part of this consideration. Do not forget to identify the number of charts as well to help increase the clarity of the image summary.

in 2010

Avoid providing specific information in the trending sentence / paragraph. This should only be a general reference. You may use the decades reference but no more than that because the minute actual data is mention, the analysis and comparison discussion requirements will kick in. Sadly, you cannot discuss the image information in the summary overview + trending statement / paragraph section.

Good work in the analysis and reporting paragraphs. These are accurate to a fault. The 3rd paragraph could have been shorter to help keep the balance of the overall presentation, which was based mostly on the 3 sentence per paragraph presentation. The 3rd paragraph threw off the balanced discussion presentation. You could have added to the analysis of the 4th paragraph to help balance out the presentation. The 3rd paragraph has a run-on sentence in the last presentation. Based on the information presented, another sentence, rather than a comma should have been used in the final infofrmation presentation. That is due to the last half of the sentence presenting a stand alone string of information that cannot be coupled with the previous information.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS 1: Languages, other than English, that British students at a university in England can speak