IELTS Writing TASK 1: Languages with the most native speakers

DanggDang 1 / 1  

six languages and how many being used natively

The table below gives information about languages with the most native speakers.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.

The provided table shows key data on the measurements of the six ranking languages in terms of the number of native speakers and the quantity of foreign learners. It also depicts the total number of speakers for each of those languages.

Overall, Mandarin Chinese has the highest figure for people who use this language as their mother-tongue, it is also the most spoken language, whilst, English is the most popular international one.

As can be seen from the table, Mandarin Chinese records 900 million first language users, followed by Hindi with the figure being significantly lower, at 370 million. The third highest used language is Spanish, which records 350 million native speakers. Below 350 million in each of English, Arabic and Portuguese: 339 million, 206 million and 203 million respectively.

According to the table, apart from English, the numbers of speakers as an additional language are considerably lower than those of native speakers. Prominently, in Mandarin Chinese, the former figure almost one-fifth the latter one. Conversely, Hindi has the smallest disparity: the number of first language users is higher than the quantity of foreign leaners by 250 million. Lots of people love English, this language has a total learners of 603 million, which is the highest figure. Not many people learn Spanish, Arabic and Portuguese compared to the other three languages, to specify, the figures for these languages are: 70 million, 24 million and 10 million respectively.

Please give me some comments, thanks for watching!

Maria - / 1,098 389  
@DanggDang
Hi, dear! Welcome to this forum. If you find any of the feedback you receive here to be useful, please do approach us for more assistance.

While the first paragraph is decent enough and passable, I recommend revising the first parts to create a more concise and form-fitting structure. You mentioned the terms "number" and "quantity" quite a bit here. Try to merge these two together as they have synonymous content. Apply this technique throughout to create a clearer and more consistent writing.

The third paragraph is also a bit too packed. You can omit, for instance, the first line before you began your analysis. Doing this would assist you in writing more effectively as it would preserve the dynamism of your work. This will also trim down your content so you're left with what's essential.
OP DanggDang 1 / 1  
@Maria
Thanks so much, Maria! Can I ask you how many marks can I get with this essay? I just started my preparation for IELTS, hope to be received more and more advice!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing TASK 1: Languages with the most native speakers