Memoir of the Chevalier ; Writing Section of the Toefl, Question 1

haretche 1 / 2  
Hi, I wrote this essay corresponding to the Volume 3 of the "Quick Prep" from Ets. I would like to get any suggestions.
Have to get over 100 points in the exam so need to get top score!!! (I'm terribly bad on the Speaking)

The reading passage states that the memoir of the Chevalier is inaccurate. Three examples are used to prove it. On the other side, the professor disagrees and gives counterexamples to refute each of the given examples. On the lecture is said that the memoir is one of the most reliable sources to learn about the Chevalier's life.

In first place, the reading claims that he was not as wealthy as is said, and bases this on the fact that he borrowed large sums of many from Swiss merchants. The professor refutes this by saying that he had a large number of properties instead of cash. The Chevalier had to borrow money because it usually took some days to convert his assets into actual money.

In second place, the article posits that the conversations between him and Voltaire were inaccurate due to the fact that the memoir was written years after they occurred. The professor opposes this point by saying that he used to write down the conversations every night and that he kept his notes for several years.

Finally, the Chevalier escaped from a prison in Venice. On the reading stands that he did it by bribing the guards. Opposed to that, on the lecture is said that other prisoners were even more powerful than him, and they could not escape. In addition, according to the registers of the police, the ceiling had to be repaired after he escaped.
JangGemini 8 / 51 12  
Sorry cuz I can't give you any advice but I'm studying for TOEFL too TT___TT I've just done some Speaking today. You're right, it's terrible. I just want to know if we can share any tip or source which is good for improving score :D I also need a high score, about 90+. :D

Nice to know you ^^
Jang.
OP haretche 1 / 2  
Hi Jang, I have watched a lot of movies and serials. Is very important to watch them without subtitles!!! (Otherwise you don't listen as much and pays attention at reading the subtitles).

Nice to know you too!!
Santiago
JangGemini 8 / 51 12  
OMG! I tried! TT__TT it's hard not to look at the subtitle when they appear SO ATTRACTIVE like that =)) I will do it again ._. Why do you need TOEFL and where r u from? :D
OP haretche 1 / 2  
Hi Jang, I know it's hard, they look very attractive. That's the why you should look for movies without subtitles! (Not even english subtitles).

By the way, I'm from a very small country in South America called Uruguay. I'm taking the exam cuz I wanna get a master degree in an American university (I'm about to finish my undergraduate degree)
OnIn the lecture it is said that the memoir is one of the most reliable sources to learn about the Chevalier's life.

the reading claims that he was not as wealthy as is said and bases this on the fact that he borrowed large sums of manymoney from Swiss merchants.

.... the reading passage claims that he was not as wealthy as it is said and the money that were in his possession are the money he borrowed from Swiss merchants.

The professor refutes this by saying that he had a large number of properties instead of cash.

The professor refutes this fact by arguing that he had many properties though he did not have liquid cash.

On the reading stands that he did it by bribing the guards.

As per the reading passage he did it by bribing the guards.
toeflrater - / 1  
Hello. I am a former ETS TOEFL exam rater with 4 years of experience. My comments are intended to assist by providing an accurate assessment, however others have already provided more definitive comments. In short, you'll get a 3 out of 5 on this essay, but you are close to a 4. Be careful at the end...there are many more significant grammar and usage issues at the end than at the beginning. Advice: Try to forget about the grammar structure your local teachers have taught you...write more like what you have seen over the years by native English authors, and work out the grammar correctly in your head as you write the words. Good luck!

Home / Writing Feedback / Memoir of the Chevalier ; Writing Section of the Toefl, Question 1