Letter of Motivation for Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters

Rehman Sadaqat 1 / -  
Respected Members of the Selection Committee,

I am looking for a suitable Master degree programme which not only offers the in-depth research on data analysis and extraction but also focuses on the real-time mergence of the data with Artificial Intelligence. This is exactly what I found in the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master in Artificial Intelligence.

I completed my Bachelors of Science in Computer Science. My studies have provided me with in-depth working of Data Extraction and Retrival as well as Machine Learning and Deep Learning. In addition to that, I worked in multiple AI fields including Computer Vision and Natural Language Processing where I explored the image processing, retrieval and segregation. Moreover, I also learned the in-depth analysis of social media and web scraping techniques for data acquisition and honed skills in data preprocessing to cleanse noisy datasets effectively. The implementation of natural language processing (NLP) and sentiment analysis algorithms not only elevated my technical abilities but also deepened my comprehension of language nuances in diverse online communities.

Being an individual whose studies were affected by Covid-19 thrice, I developed a keen interest in Artifical Intelligence, especially medical imaging and data gathering/processing. These interest further fueled my curiosity and I explored the fields of Robotics as well. I participated in a inter-university Robotics competition and stood at 4th place. Subsequent research projects highlighted the need for improved data collection, processing efficiency, and addressing bias and discrimination in decision-making, areas I am eager to explore further in the EMAI program.

My research projects, alongside my dissertation made me realize that there is still work needed to be done on how well the data can be collected and processed. Moreover, how the data is presented also matters and can be make more efficient. In particular, the bias and discrimination in data collection and how it affects the decision making is something I would like to work on during my Masters.

Beside the university, I have won a Gold Medal from Amal Academy ( a start-up by PepsiCo and Stanford University) for entrepreneurship, leadership and communication skills. For example, I led a team of 6 members where we worked on a project called "SAYA E SAYIBAAN" - where we build canopies for poor street vendors to fight the dazzling heat of summer in Lahore, Pakistan. As of now, I work in "JaanBaaz Organization" that is working on trans rights, women education and skill development programmes for orphans along with emergency disaster relief, as a AI skills development co-ordinator as well as finance manager.

I believe that EMAI is a programme that not only combines all the topics I am interested in but also provides an exact pathway for me to transition into my career as a data scientist/researcher. In addition to that, the opportunity to experience the lifestyle of the member universities of the consortium, all of whom have exceptional architecture and history is somewhat of a dream for someone like me who loves to explore new things. I am also invested in the opportunity to learn and work with IRCAI during the duration of my programme. With an interest in new AI startups, I also look forward to explore AI entrepreneurship at summer School by UCL.

As said above, my future goal is to be a Data Researcher with a focus on Image Processing. Therefore, I would be pleased to complete my Master's Thesis at University of Ljubljana. The idea of my thesis is to work around Image Processing in Data Collection and reducing the algorithmic bias. I assume that, Prof. dr. Blaž Zupan who is an expert in research in machine learning and data visualization techniques, would be a perfect supervisor for my Master's thesis.

One of the things that I am most proud of in my life is, undoubtedly, my academic achievements. Being raised by a single mother who is turning 55 this year, she has worked day and night to support my studies and she is not only satisfied but also happy with my academic achievements. Her dedication to my education was infact inspiration for me to join the volunteering services and how, most of my past experiences tends to be towards academia. Since I do not want to be a burden to her anymore as she is not able to further fund my studies, and my past experience with the relevant projects, courses along with my obsession with Artificial Intelligence, I believe that I might be a well-recipient of this scholarship and I would definitely live up to be a valuable asset to the Consortium partner universities.

Thank you for your valuable time
My name, degree.
--------------------------------------THE END--------------------------------

I would like your help your help to check out
1. paragraph structure
2. does it relate to the university and course enough-?
The mention of your mother at the end of the motivational letter is totally out of place. That is a personal appeal that is irrelevant to the requirements of the presentation. The reviewer does not care about your mother and her effect on your life. You should remove that discussion point and reference a more relevant closing statement. Something that would tie in your otherwise strong motivational discussion. Your academic presentation is good. The fact that you have a career direction in mind will also help your application. So the motivational discussion is strong in the presentation. However, you have to remove the family reference at the end to keep the presentation strong and relevant. Close instead with a strong hope of admission into the program and a reference to how you look forward to the career boost your participation in the program will provide upon your completion of the studies.

Home / Writing Feedback / Letter of Motivation for Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters