Observation paper for HRT 101 Benson

bensonm 1 / 1  
Hi Moderators/Helpers, are there any grammartical mistakes? This paper is an observation paper of a hotel for my HRT 101 class. Is my first paragraph a theme or central idea of what is to come in my paper?

I want to thank you very very much for helping me to see if I have any grammartical errors. This is my first time using this forum. Once again thanks.

Name: Benson M. School: Cal Poly Pomona

The hotel that I observed is The Pacific Palms Resort, which is located up in the hill in the City of Industry ten miles west of Cal Poly Pomona. The resort has guest accommodations, World-class Golf, a Spa, and a Conference Center. This resort was observed on Sunday, October 12, 2008 from 3:40 to 5:40 p.m. In this paper, I will analyze and describe the place, the employees, the services, and the atmosphere of this hotel.

After getting out of the car, I proceed to the 11-story hotel entrance where I saw two valet employees waiting outside for any car to pull up. The cost of the valet parking was $12 for overnight parking and $6 for daytime parking, which seems very high for a one-night stay compare to Las Vegas hotels which cost about $2. I went through the main entrance where I expected the front desk to be in front of me; instead it was near the main entrance facing away from it. The front desk is one-fourth the size of any Las Vegas Strip hotel. There are three main levels: the Garden level contains the Spa, Golf Pro Shop and a restaurant. The Lobby level contains the main lobby, ballroom, meeting rooms and another restaurant. The Mezzanine level contains several meeting room and the guest elevators. There were a lot of visitors coming to the hotel ballroom for some type of wedding ceremony and reception. I only saw about three groups of guests checking into the hotel at that time while I was there observing.

At the front desk, there were only three female employees working, two of the employees were dress in very professional black matched suit and one wearing white matched suit which I believed it to be a manager. All three were wearing name tag. One of the employee check in another guests into their hotel room, another were on the phone for majority of the time maybe doing guest reservations and FAQ, the manager was offering guest assistance to several visitors and guest to find the location to where they want to go. All three were smiling all the time when speaking to guests and visitors; they have a very confident level in themselves while I was observing them. There was also one security guard that keeps walking back and forth on the lobby floor standing tall and straight to ensure the safety of the hotel guests and visitor to the wedding. There were also two valet employees who stood there waiting for cars to come, so they can park guests/visitors car in the valet only parking space. I did not see any car use the valet parking while I was there. I did not see any bellhop. All the employees that I saw are all equally important and none are more important than other that is because they are here to make sure every guest receives the best care, respect, warmth and courtesy that the resort has to offer.

The service being provided at this hotel is of course a night where guest can sleep, meeting rooms where business people can discuss plans and issues, a golf course where golfer can come and play and a relaxing Spa. The customer service at the hotel is of course the front desk. The personal characteristics of the customer service that is being provided at the front desk is to make sure they know who their guests is, second is to determine what their guests needs are, third is to come up with a way to satisfied the needs of the guest weather by checking the computer and using their knowledge, fourth is use what they learn from training in hospitality and make the guest feel happy and satisfied. Fifth is to get as many feedbacks possible such as complements or complaints and use it to improve on their service for next time.

This hotel is very quiet and relaxing. There were no kids screaming and yelling unlike Circus Circus. It doesn't have the feel of fun, but a feel of a business setting atmosphere because it's indeed a conference resort also. Many of the visitors there were in business attires and some are in golfer kinds of clothes. None of the employees were in a hurry what so ever during the time I was there. The hotel looks very similar to the Grand Californian hotel at Disney's California Adventure with the wall being glossy brown and smell of wilderness nature.

The Pacific Palms Resort is indeed one of a kind resort that I have observed in a while. The hotel layout is what you would expect in any 4 stars hotel. The hotel employees work very hard from what I can tell to please both the guests and visitors, so they would keep on coming back and bringing in new guests. There are many things you can do here at this resort. The experience is very settle down and soothing for both guests and employees. In the end, this observation had taught me how the hospitality industry works, how I can one day become that one person who try and meet the needs and wants of people who are away from home weather is to greet, assist, or make reservations.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

I believe your introduction is a good precursor to the rest of your paper. The main mechanical issue I see here is the use of capitalization. If the word is not a proper noun or a word beginning a sentence, it should not be capitalized.

As to content, this seems to be a very thorough paper with good details. The conclusion could use a little cleaning up though. Can you base an assessment for all of the hospitality industry on this one establishment, as you seem to imply when you say "...taught me how the hospitality industry works..."? It should be more specific, pertaining only to this particular establishment, in order to be effective.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP bensonm 1 / 1  
Hi Gloria,

Can you please highlight some of the mistakes because my professor said I can't have more than five errors or she will not read further into the paper resulting in an F.

Thank you very much.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

As I have previously commented, check for capitalization. Things that are not proper nouns (specific people, places, things, or ideas) or the first words of sentences should not be capitalized. Is a Lobby a proper noun? Think about each of the things you have capitalized. If it doesn't fall into those two above stated requirements, it shouldn't be capitalized.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Observation paper for HRT 101 Benson