"Pain is not a pleasant feeling" ; Analyzing the concept "PAIN"

carolyn 2 / 7 1  

Paper about Pain

Pain is not a pleasant feeling; it captivates a person's attention. It's fearful, demanding and even
exhausting. Pain heightens our senses, narrowing down a person's focus, causing the outside world to
dissipate. Pain with its interwoven layers, being physical, emotional and yes even spiritual cause's tears of
anguish. It weighs the nervous system, making a person want to be held in the safety of their mother's
arms, always looking for some type of relief. "Mama, help me!" are the cries of many.
When walking down the street or in a store and seeing someone with a cast or severe bruises often
time's people wonder what happened. Some people shy away from the sight of these predicaments, afraid
that they might catch something. It is often the times when someone experiences pain and when
recognized, an understanding of compassion takes place. Some tend to reach out in conversation asking
questions, curiosity getting the better of them. Other times someone might go out of their way to assist
someone who looks like they are in pain, some of us go to great lengths to avoid an individual having
physical symptoms of pain. Whether being in pain ourselves or not there seems to be a common bond in
the fear of pain. There seems to be a stigma about pain, and the mixed feelings of seeing someone as a
result of pain or the thoughts of pain. Fear seems to be the underlying component here.
Physical pain is classified into two categories, Acute and Chronic. Acute pain is a sudden displeasure.
Its affects are somewhat brief, lasting from a day to a month. It is specific in its nature, a broken arm,
cuts and bruises, even childbirth." What a relief!" Chronic pain is more intense, muscle tension, nagging
headaches, sleep deprivation, feelings of no control, maybe even the loss of mobility. It takes away happy
thoughts, and depression might help in contributing to the pain levels increasing ( Fernadez, Ruiz,
Saiguero, 2011,& Cho, Heiby, Lee, McCracken, Moon,2010).
Some people say emotional pain is the worst. Emotions playing off of fear based anxiety, with
outbursts of anger, isolating family members while friendships start to disappear, leaving the sufferer with
only the detaching silence and feelings of disconnection, loss and helplessness. Take into consideration of
a person suffering from a broken neck being placed in a halo. A tight vest wrapped around the torso with
metal rods enclosing the skull and metal screws embedded into the skin of the skull securing the
apparatus. Their emotional feelings of disconnect from lack of physical contact, lack of independence,
loss of mobility and being able to dress themselves. It is humbling, being reduced to such a state of
helplessness. The duration lasting for months, being unable to get dressed, bath, look beautiful. It takes a
toll on a person's emotional state of the individual. Tears falling often, anger consuming their thoughts.
The constant plea for help, a loss of understanding asking them what happened. Is god punishing me?
What about the family that is suffering in silence as there is no comfort in emotional pain? One becomes
so focused on the injury, they are not able to take a step back and see the family is suffering right with
them. Going outside in public is not an option with people stopping in their tracks, staring, with quiet
conversations of the shock of such a sight, feelings of shame taking place. Is god the answer here? Does
he hear the emotional cries of anguish, despair and consuming fear? One must stop and consider the
spiritual pain in this instance. It is consuming, emotional pain wears a person down so much that it starts
to affect their soul. "Oh God!, where are you?", these are often the cries of the emotional drained person
in pain (Cho, Heiby, Lee, McCracken , Moon, 2010).
Spiritual pain needs more than a prescription; it needs a listener, a staff of highly trained individuals all
coming together for ones spiritual illness. A person suffering from the soul level is looking for harmony
in their lives, making a connection, alignment with god. This is no easy task. It renders the heart of not
only the ill but the caretakers. For the people who cannot speak it is all about physical touch,
communicating that they are not alone, that someone cares for them. Spiritual pain can be a very lonely
place. It is through communication that a person can deal with certain life experiences bringing closure. It
is like tying up all the loose ends that hold a person back from the cross over between life and death. In
assisting someone with spiritual pain it is wise for the caretaker to have a strong spiritual back ground.
This does not mean that they have to be religious. It's an understanding of the process of dying that comes
into affect here ( Kearney, nd).
When looking at the different types of pain, whether physical, or emotional, and possibly spiritual,
one must go further and consider the individuality of the person, their family ties and a connection with
god. It can be crippling on many levels. Physical pain can be treated by doctors and the natural process of
the body healing system. Emotional pain is often times more difficult to treat. There are many physicians
to help aid an individual with this dilemma. Spiritual pain needs more time and focus. It is a process of
self discovery, maybe even healings of their past life experiences. When dealing with a person in pain it is
wise to take a step back, not to judge them and give the sufferer support, show compassion. Most of us
have suffered from some type of pain, on many different levels. All of humanity has suffered some type
of pain and the questions remain, "Why do we run from it?", is it because the brain, the heart and the soul
can be affected? Is there a common bond between the sufferings of one? Do people feel each other's
pain? The association between a person's pain and a bystander often times gets mixed up. A person
might not have an injury to feel someone else's pain. It is natural to feel some type of emotion when faced
with the word pain. Often times the mind will automatically bring back some type of memory of pain
association when just the word is spoken. Given a vast amount of time pain can be diminished if treated
accordingly. It does not have to be a lonely experience. Maybe love is the answer here; maybe love heals
all the wounds of the flesh and spirit. Pain is a common bond between all mankind.
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
I don't really know what kind of help you are looking for, but this was a very interesting essay to read. However, it does not have a thesis, and it has only a vague sense of organization. You kind of start and end with how people react to other people's pain, but you don't really elaborate on that. Then you go into how physical pain can lead to emotional pain, which can lead to spiritual pain. That was cool, but then you kind of got stuck on the spiritual pain part. Do you think that is the most important kind of pain to deal with? You also briefly mention the suffering person's family, but don't say much on that either.
I agree with Didgeridoo... pain is a very complicated feeling which can cause even more complicated results such as anger, depression, hopelessness, helplessness etc. Also, people have very different ways of responding to pain.... mostly it's the kids who turn their moms for relief, some turn to god for help, some even kill themselves thinking that it's the only solution left for them. So, I too suggest you to have broader view on this aspect and re-phrase that part.
OP carolyn 2 / 7 1  
Wow! Thanks for all the information you gave me. I guess I need to work on my thesis. I thought it was clear. I thought that I broke down the three areas I was intending to discuss. So Basically, I need better organization here? I have been struggling with second and third person and was really trying to stay in third. You really make it look so simple when editting my essay. Maybe I need to be a little more clear in my writting. Somewhere there seems to be a disconnect with what I'm thinking and then trying to place it all on paper. I think I undersdtand about the sentence of people crying for help from their mama. I just didn't look at it this way. I was trying to catch the readers attention playing on their emotions with the cries of help, seeking their mother. I guess it didn't really work here. I will have to think on how to re-do this. Thank you so much for the insight. Really, I'm amazed at all the information you have givien me to work with here. Sometimes, I think I have blinders on when writting. This is my first English Comp course and I feel alittle overwhelmed when it comes to writting. I feel blessed just to get some of the information down on paper. My mind tends to get ahead of my writting. I tend to have many fragments in my writting and I'm really trying to focus on my sentence structure. So you have really pointed out some areas that I need to pay more attention to.
Sometimes, I think I have blinders on when writting.

... no.... this is very common and everybody gets sticky with what they write and also gets carried away too... It's always better to get a third party read it so that he would look at with a fresh mind. :D

What about the family that is suffering in silence as there is no comfort in emotional pain?

What about a family that suffers in silence?

One becomes so focused on the injury, they are not able to take a step back and see the family is suffering right with them.

... I think you can have an interesting example for this point. It is always a good habit to support reasons with examples... That way is more convincing for a reader :)
OP carolyn 2 / 7 1  
Mt thoughts here were breaking down the essay into first physical pain followed by emotional pain and then going into spiritual pain. I thought that in my intro paragraph that my thesis statement broke it down into catagories. I guess I need a better thesis if it is not that apparent how I wanted the essay to go. I guess I need more organization here. Thanks for all you help.

Home / Writing Feedback / "Pain is not a pleasant feeling" ; Analyzing the concept "PAIN"