The Process of Unification - Satirical essay on Religion

Gcardwell 1 / -  
I'm working on an essay that makes fun of some of the flaws in religion. I'm not trying to take on to serious of a tone in the essay rather just provide a entertaining piece of literature. I've started the essay and I would like to hear an opinion on what I have written so far. Dont mind the grammatical errors since I haven't goten around to fixing them yet, thanks.

The Process of Unification

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing (Edmund Burke)." This quote is my living inspiration to do something about our corrupted society. Being the good man I am I have decided to create a religion that will unify all Americans and give people a reason to exist. In this day and age people are so discouraged by the bad news of a dying economy and the fact that America is always on the brink of getting involved in another world war. This worry is a problem that can easily be forgotten by developing a strong faith in a greater power. My plan is simple, we as a nation must group together and follow strict guidelines under a religion I label as "Radianism"; if this is accomplished every American will have a just purpose to exist and strive for success.

The first step to creating a unified community under Radianism is to exclude all non believers. Radians must take example from the crusades and spread the word of Grok, the divine leader of Radianism, throughout the world through force. Any person who doubts or questions Radianism should be exterminated in the name of Grok. Any child who cannot pronounce Grok by the age of three must also be dealt with swiftly or they could be a potential threat to Radian community.

In order to ensure that Grok's word is followed by all, the Radian community must take over the American federal government because it is corrupt and full of people who abuse their power unlike the historical religious leaders. We must take example from Scientology and create a hierarchical system that puts a select few in positions of power to control all believers; since these leaders will be followers of the word of Grok, people should be able to trust these few righteous men. All followers will be forced to half of their income to them during their Sunday service at their local place of worship because these men will have to undergo a great deal of pressure from having to be religious leaders.

The Radian religion will be founded on the ideal that the more a person sacrifices for the religion the more devout they are. This includes their possessions and their rights as citizens such as their freedom to eat at whatever time they choose. Each member of the religion will be required to fast for 12 hours a day every day of the year. Not only will this fasting prove their dedication to Radianism but it will also ensure that Radian's maintain a healthy weight since obesity is not acceptable in Radianism. This practice can be considered related to the religion of Islam but Radianism takes it much father because fasting for only a portion of the year cannot possibly prove your dedication to your religion.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon :)

I think you use satire successfully in this piece, especially since you relate it to politics and historical figures. This is commonly used in items of opinion such as political cartoons. It is entertaining, although I would remove the direct "naming" of Islam, as it not only ruins your insinuation/assumption pattern, but direct naming can interpreted as more offensive to some individuals.

I cannot really say whether it is appropriate for your prompt or not, as you did not include the requirements for the assignment here.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
blah93 - / 1  
Should people impose other peoples belief, culture, religion, etc?

Can someone please give me three reasons disagreeing or agreeing and three strong supports?

thanksss :)!
Hi, I think you should at least decide what your opinion is, first, before asking for the answers! :) I know that research is difficult... but this is one of those questions for which there is no simple answer. If you study Kant's absolutist ethics vs. Mill's utilitarian ethics, you might find a beautiful essay taking form.

Good luck!!

Kevin
mavictoria 4 / 17  
take a stand first and then you can work out reason
lady_b 3 / 6  
my opinion
no everyone has a way off thought
and ideas!

Home / Writing Feedback / The Process of Unification - Satirical essay on Religion