Tall and loving it - I reached the height of six-foot-two when I was done growing

sweetpea123 1 / 1  
Millersville University would like to learn more about your life experiences that have had a significant impact on who you are today. Please provide a personal statement or essay below that is no longer than 500 words. You may choose to write about personal challenges or triumphs, why you want to study your intended major, what you can contribute to the Millersville community, or any additional information that you wish for the admissions committee to consider.

Im not done yet but this is what I have so far

If you asked me three years ago if I loved being tall I would have said 'absolutely not' with no hesitation. After all, what girl would love to taller than every boy in her class.

Growing up, I was always a foot taller than everyone in my class, and sometimes even the teacher. In class pictures I would always stand out like a sore thumb, so I would slouch to make myself look shorter but it would never work. I always hated my height when I was younger because it made me so different from everyone.

Being six-foot-2, people automatically think I am number a number one athlete, or a top model, however I am not. I am not your stereotypical tall girl who is number one on her sports team, or top model. I am an average athlete who excels mostly in art . Art is what makes me stand out from other people. When people ask me if I am basketball or volleyball player I say 'no'. When I say art, it puts a stunned look on their face. I like to make people believe that tall people are not always the number one athletes. Exceptionally tall people are not always good at sports, there is more to them.

It took me years to become comfortable with my height. I was always so afraid of standing out from other people. When I was younger I always thought being tall was more of a burden than a gift. For example, when I would get my hair caught in a tree, or when people would judge me because I was so tall. It was only about a year ago that I became comfortable with my height. I learned that its good to stand out and that you should not care what other people think.
Caitlyn, the response that you wrote does not exactly fall within the qualifications of the prompt. Instead of writing about how being tall is something that you hated, why not spin it into something more positive? Rather than the shallow discussion that you present at the moment regarding your love for fashion and how your height was a hindrance, why not discuss how your height has worked to your advantage in certain instances? For example, maybe there was an activity that you could participate in that the shorter girls could not because they did not have the height for it. Or maybe it has helped you positively in some extra curricular activities or volunteer work? Remember, the essay is asking you to present your unique ability in a positive light. At the moment, your essay is just complaining about your height being a hindrance even though in the end you seem to have found a reason to not view it as a hindrance. I beg your pardon but this has to be said, the essay you wrote is too shallow and does not really help your application in any way. You need to change the theme of your essay from one of complaining to one of acceptance and seeing the bright side of being extremely tall for a girl :-)
OP sweetpea123 1 / 1  
Thanks! i think I might write about how it helped me in art

Home / Writing Feedback / Tall and loving it - I reached the height of six-foot-two when I was done growing