UNIVERSITY EDUCATION SHOULD BE FREE TO EVERYONE, REGARDLESS OF INCOME.

theamazingshao 3 / 5 1  

The tuition fees issue

University education should be free to everyone, regardless of income. To what extent do you agree? 300-350 words.

There is currently a contentious argument over whether a zero cost of university tuition fees should be given to every students notwithstanding their income. From my point of view, I am not in favor of this opinion due to the two main reasons.

To begin with, I believe that students are responsible of paying for their own acquisition of knowledge, especially for the precious lessons which they receive at universities. Consequently,they are also likely to be more appreciative and try to develop a methodical study approach. It is a common sense that every movements in life bring experience and have its value. In order to achieve it, a determined money and time investment is compelled. The aforementioned idea can be applied in this case.If undergraduates desire knowledge or experience, they have to pay a price.

Another reason why I do not approve of the notion is that it may cause a deficit in the institutions' budget. Given that the school do not earn any profit from the tuition fees, the school board of managers can have a difficulty remunerating the teaching staff as well as the service workers, not to mention electricity and other facilities. In addition, some of the teachers might resign because of the low-paid salary. This eventually leads to the degradation of the university 's reputation and quality.

In conclusion, I do not agree with the opinion that education at university should be free no matter how much they could afford. This can be put down to two rationales: the responsibility of students to pay for their pursuits and the lack of money in institutions. In this case, I highly recommend applying for a scholarship to lower the cost or searching for a part-time job to earn more money.

P/S: Can u give me my band, contributors?
vanessazhang00 2 / 2 1  
1. In the first paragraph, "students" should be singular.

2. In the end of second paragraph, it should be "pay the price".

3. In the third paragraph, I suppose what you are writing about was a possibility not reality, so the tone of the sentences should be adjusted a little:

Given that the school do not earn any profit from the tuition fees, the school board of managers could have a difficulty remunerating the teaching staff as well as the service workers, not to mention electricity and other facilities.

This eventually would lead to the degradation ...

4. In the last paragraph, it would be better to mention "students" directly instead of "they". I also change the last part for a bit:
This can be put down to two rationales: the responsibility of students to pay for their own pursuits and the possibility of lack of funding in institutions. In this case, ... a part-time job to ease the financial problem.
There was an incomplete response to the prompt discussion question. Since this is a measured response essay, it is imperative that you address the question with a degree of agreement or disagreement. Terms such as strongly, completely, wholly, fully, are a few of the terms that you can use to connote your measured response. You cannot say you equally support the statements because the essay clearly asks you to defend one side over the other in your reasoning paragraphs.

Now, your reasoning is sound and obviously based on personal considerations of the aforementioned topics. While the grammar is not perfect, you managed to make yourself understood throughout the essay. I would like to warn you about your spelling though. Remember that you are taking a test that uses UK English. As such, you should make an effort to learn how to spell the words in the UK manner, rather than the US manner. You will score more LR points for spelling in the correct form of English for the test.

You had a disagreement within the noun phrase "given to every students". Since every connotes a singular form of the word, then the subject should be in the singular reference as well. Hence "given to every student.".

Based on these observations, I believe that you could get the following score, per section:

TA - 5 due to the improper prompt response
C&C - 6 because of the problem with your use of cohesive devices
LR - 6 Vocabulary is adequate for the task
GRA - 6. Your sentence formation is proper enough to not confuse the reader of make your references difficult to understand.

Home / Writing Feedback / UNIVERSITY EDUCATION SHOULD BE FREE TO EVERYONE, REGARDLESS OF INCOME.