Should university students be allowed to use mobile phones in class?

vananh0015 1 / 1  

using phones at schools should be banned?

The cell phone's popularity is increasing along with its functionality in all populations, including university students. It helps them find sources of learning faster. However, cell phones have harmful side effects for them when using it in class. Therefore, undergraduate students should not be permitted to use their mobile phones in class because it has negative impacts on their health, education, and even other people.

First, mobile phones should not be allowed in class since they have undesirable effects on students' health. Their physical health could be affected by the way they use their smart phones. Students who stare at phone screens for a long time can cause some health problems such as blurry vision, headaches, neck, and shoulder pain. Many frequent wireless clients have complained of headaches as a pessimistic health symptom of mobile phone utilization (Should students be allowed to use cell phones at school?, 2013, para.6). Moreover, the mobile phone radiation is likely to cause cancer. If university students use cell phones regularly, they will face some mental health issues. Bad comments on the personal page make them feel sorrowful. Similarly, cyberbullying can lead to depression, stress on them, or even suicide in some worst situations. Students should limit their cell phone usage if they want to have better health.

Another reason why students should not be permitted to use their smart phones in class is that it regularly can influence them in their education. Instead of learning, they will try to cheat in any examinations. If students have a mobile phone, they could be secretly using it on tests. For example, they can send messages with questions, answers of the test to another friend for help, or they can be searched for the answer on the Internet. In addition, cell phones can be a source of great disruption in the classroom. New announcements on social networking sites like Facebook, Instagram and so on make them unable to focus on the lesson. Coughlan (2015) found that "researchers found that students sending and receiving messages while studying scored lower test results and were less effective at tasks such as note taking" (para.2). In short, students should know that cheating and not paying attention to the lesson carries serious consequences such as automatically falling in the test, so cell phones are not necessary to use in class.

Finally, when a student uses his or her phone in class, it clearly affects other students and teachers. Others will be distracted from professors' lessons when someone uses their mobile phone in class. For instance, Brown (2014) reports that it is impolite and disruptive to have a ringing or vibrating phone in the middle of the lecture (para.5). If a cell phone rings while a professor is teaching, it will interrupt the flow of the class, definitely disturb other students, and make them not concentrate on the lesson. Furthermore, students can use cell phones for some inappropriate behaviors. In some case, mobile phones are also used to take pictures, or record video of others without their permission. They can infringe other students and teachers' privacy when they post their photographs or videos online. In summary, cell phones should not be accepted in class if students do not want to bother others.

In conclusion, cell phones should not be allowed to use in class because of its bad influence on undergraduate students. If they use it too much, their health can be reduced, and their academic achievement will decrease. Finally, it will affect the relationship around them. However, mobile phones can be a good device if they know how to use it properly in class.
maily257 3 / 6  
However, cell phones have harmful side effects for them when using it in class ==> I'm confused about this. Who are "them" and the subject is "cell phones" so "it" isn't suitable
Reza_Hidayat 13 / 18 1  
@vananh0015
I have red your essay and I think that you present a clear position throughout the response since you are more likely to disagree of using mobile phones in the class due to several reasons. You also manage all aspects of cohesion well by using a range of cohesive device and using a mix of simple and complex sentence forms. However, I think your explanation quite long and some parts tend to be more fully covered than others.
OP vananh0015 1 / 1  
@maily257
I mean " them" is " university students". I have talked this before.

Home / Writing Feedback / Should university students be allowed to use mobile phones in class?