Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

Analysis of a cartoon by Matt Groening (Going around in circles)

ronny12 2 / 4  
Hello
I have to write an analysis on a cartoon by Matt Groening (Please see the picture file).
What can I improve in content and language? Thank you very much!!

The cartoon titled "Going around in circles" by Matt Groening illustrates the issue of communication between father and son and points out who is to blame for it.

The figure on the left of the sequences is supposed to be the father, because he has one tooth and one horn more than his son always scared-looking son who is sitting on the right. You can see it from his posture that he is very unconfident and afraid. According to the speech bubbles, the boy seems to have problems. For example he tells his father about his feeling about being unheard, useless, insignificant, inferior, humiliated or even a waste. The father tries to encourage him, and to downplay things. But he fails to help, because whenever his child takes up this topic, there is always the same result: His boy just has to think positive, and his problems will disappear when he is older, just as the father has experienced. His dad wants to care for his son, but he takes it too easy with just thinking that "things will sort out". The father asked him several times whether he can bring out the garbage. This is a symbol for that the father doesn't take the problems of the son serious and instead continues to breaks him down with such actions. You can see the irrelevance of this topic to his father from his never-changing gesture. So it's no wonder that the son feels like such a waste then. At the end, the boy noted that the father cannot help him. That's why he brings away the garbage unconditionally.

The cartoon certainly bears a lot of truth. All in all, the cartoonist wants to make the reader aware of the fact that ignoring or downplaying problems of the children is definitely a wrong option. The father comes across in a negative light, because his acting represents the inability of educating children by their parents. Perhaps it would have been better if the father had told the son that he should speak with friends, find some hobbys where he is good at etc. to build self-esteem and self-confidence. Children often doubt themselves, although often the parents are to blame for their lack of skills. Groening shows in an amusing way, how the communication between parents and children can fail, and which dimensions it can take.

Edit: Sorry, the picture with the cartoon is too big for an upload. What can I do?
sa1na 9 / 72 19  
more than his son -always scared-looking son- who is sitting on the right
You can see it from his posture (I would not start with you) - maybe : It could be seen from his posture ..
problems. For example he tells his father about his feeling about being unheard, useless, insignificant, inferior, humiliated or even a waste. - problems as he mentions to his father his feeling about..

But he fails to help, because (since is a better synonym for because) whenever his child takes up this
The father asked (asks) him several times
continues to breaks him down
the boy noted (notes) that the father cannot help him.
the inability of educating children by their parents - the inability of parents to educate their children
OP ronny12 2 / 4  
Hi sa1na thank you for your help
I will do it as you correct.

Finally, this is the cartoon (attach). What can I add in content?

Thanks for every help.

Home / Book Reports / Analysis of a cartoon by Matt Groening (Going around in circles)