Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

AP English Synthesis Essay - Parallels and contrasts between two pieces of lit. Tips?

hiltz171jim 1 / -  
Okay, I am new here, as this is my first post. I am just looking for some useful tips to help me improve my writing for this synthesis essay, and any and all tips would be hugely appreciated!

The prompt is as follows:

"This paper is a synthesis paper. The objective is for you to make connections between differing literature in a sophisticated way by looking for parallels and contrasts within and between works.

The requirements are to choose one full-length work and at least one short story and to formulate a thesis that makes connections between the chosen works. You will then write a 3-5 page paper that examines your thesis in depth. You must refer to at least one outside research source to offer elucidation and/or support to your thesis. Be sure to refer to literary elements and use MLA format."

The two pieces of literature I chose are Death of a Salesman and "A Good Man is Hard to Find." I have done many essays like this before, but they were all just plain research papers. This whole synthesis concept is stumping me. Here is the thesis that I have constructed thus far - "The stories 'A Good Man is Hard to Find' and Death of a Salesman exhibit parallels to each other by showing interpersonal conflict and mental instability through the use of indirect characterization, both of which lead to an unexpected tragedy." I know its not the best thesis in the world, and it definitely needs to be more precise and state more of an argument. But what is giving me the most trouble is how to write 3-5 pages comparing/synthesizing the two pieces. Honestly, I am not even quite sure what exactly a synthesis paper is looking for. Our teacher did not give an example, and I can not find any examples on the internet that are synthesis papers comparing works of literature together. Again, and help and tips would be greatly appreciated!
Viper - / 3  
Hi,

If you conduct some serious research online, you will definitely find the information you need. Incase you find it hard, i might help you out.

Home / Book Reports / AP English Synthesis Essay - Parallels and contrasts between two pieces of lit. Tips?