Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 4

INTO THE WILD - connect with Emerson's quote

Rhettgray 3 / 13  
I HAVE TO WRITE A ESSAY ABOUT THIS BOOK WISH WAS GOING TO BE EASY BUT MY TEACHER ADDED SOMETHING ELSE TO IT

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."

I HAVE TO CONNECT INTO THE WILD WITH THIS QUOTE
HELP WITH HOW TO START
braiden992 - / 18  
I have not read into the wild, but of it's anything related to the title, it should not be too difficult. Emerson is basically arguing that it is easier live within the norm of society, reflecting and accepting the ideal, while it's just as easy to be cutting edge, unique, etc., when you don't have to put yourself out in the open. Great men are able to retain their individuality amongst fellow men.

Connecting this concept to the novel, I suspect that most people succumb to the wild and end up losing themselves. It would be quite the achievement to survive in the wild and maintain one's self.

Best of luck, without reading the novel, I have no idea if this works.
OP Rhettgray 3 / 13  
that was great can i use ur summary of the quote
OP Rhettgray 3 / 13  
Rhett Gray
Ms.Temple
Lit 1 hr
19/1/11

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." this quote was wrote by Ralph Waldo Emerson . I believe Emerson is basically arguing that it is easier live within the norm of society, reflecting and accepting the ideal, while it's just as easy to be cutting edge, unique, etc., when you don't have to put yourself out in the open. Chris McCandless from Into the wild by Jon Krakauer is able to retain their individuality amongst fellow men.

Into the wild is about Chris McCandless a intelligent, extremely intense young men with a strerk of stubborn idealism. McCandless connection to Emerson quote is prefect. Chris grows up in Washington D.C. in a wealthy suburb, where be succeed, both academically and athletically. He graduates from Emory University with honors in 1990.

Chris McCandless who like the simple life ,he question everything in his life he want to be his own person without help from anyone "When he returned to McCandless's camp and launched into the self-improvement pitch, though , McCandless cut him off abruptly. "Look, Mr. Franz," he declared, "you don't need to worry about me. I have a college education .I'm not destitute. I'm living like this by choice." And then, declared, "you don't need to worry about me. I have a college education. I'm not destitute. I'm living like this by choice." And then, despite his initial prickliness, the young man warmed to old-timer, and the two engaged in a long conversation, Before the day was out they had driven into Palm springs in Franz's truck, had a meal at a nice restaurant, and taken ride on the tramway to the top of San Jacinto Peak, at the bottom of which McCandless stopped to unearth a Mexican serape and some other possessions he'd buried for safekeeping a year earlier."(50).This show how Chris won't let anyone tell what is right for him. McCandless value his principles over people, which led many to respect him.

Christoper McCandless know what he wanted in this world, the thing he left the life he live behind to take a 2 year trip for the Ultimate freedom, Alaska his odyssey. Chris wanted a freedom other people's rules and Authority over him.McCardless wants to live in the world where the only laws he feels the need to fellow are those of Nature"Gallien asked whether he had a hunting "Hell, no"Alex scoffed." How I feed myself is none of the government's business.Fuck their stupid rules." When Gallien asked whether his parents or a friend knew what he was up to whether there was anyone who would sound the alarm if he got into trouble and was overdue Alex answered calmly that no, nobody knew of his plans, that in fact he hadn't spoken to his family in nearly two years." I'm absolutely positive," he assured Gallien,"I won't run into anything I can't deal with on my own." "There was just no talking the guy out of it,"Gallien remembers." He was determined. Real gung ho.The word that comes to mind is excited. He couldn't wait to head out there and get started."(6).Chris mind is set on his Ultimate freedom from a world where everyone find it save to follow the leader.

Home / Book Reports / INTO THE WILD - connect with Emerson's quote